Senior Employee Relations Investigator (HR Generalist, Senior)
Under general supervision, provides human resources and employee relations support to management and deployed employees while working in Antarctica. Must maintain absolute confidentiality and work with Headquarters to resolve issues in a fair and consistent manner. Provides general and targeted training to staff. Conducts employee relations investigations.
- Provides human resources support to all PAE employees on station.
- Conducts timely investigations of all station matters related to policies/procedures violations or employee relations and cooperates with appropriate partner HR departments on cross-company issues, using accepted investigation practices.
- Facilitates employee disciplinary process in conjunction with managers as needed in accordance with company policies.
- May be required to partner with HR subcontractors to act as an on-ice liaison, especially during winter deployments as the only HR on station.
- Remains current on employment laws and relevant matters affecting HR process.
- Provides guidance to supervisors and management on employee performance and conduct and works with Senior Manager/Area Manager to research and resolve personnel issues.
- Responsible for managing entire contract performance evaluation cycle on station and ensuring they are completed fairly and in a timely manner prior to staff redeploying.
- Research and answers employee questions regarding benefits, workers compensation, etc.,
- Provides & coordinates supervisory training, to include the employee evaluation process, documentation and policies, to all employees with supervisory responsibility.
- Delivers On-Ice Orientation and other on-ice trainings not provided off continent to all contract employees to include Harassment Awareness Training
- Conducts Expense Report Training and Time Sheet Training for staff as needed in conjunction with Disbursing Specialist (primary responsibility during the winter season to manage this process).
- Evaluate, revise or develop training presentations relative to staff needs and as directed.
- Participates in redeployment meetings and provides COBRA information to employees upon re-deployment, updating appropriate information as needed.
- Assists Recruiters with On-Ice offers as needed.
- Processes medical movements, termination and resignations, and ensures re-deploy paperwork is completed, and all stakeholders are notified in a timely fashion.
- Must be able to evaluate HR process and recommend improvements where necessary, advising management as needed.
- Maintain contact with management staff and provide relevant information on sensitive matters and daily progress.
- Maintains timely and accurate communication with company headquarters.
- Handles confidential matters (personnel actions, management reports, etc.) in accordance with management policy.
- Represents the HR Department at Leadership meetings as required, providing valid reporting points for other staff and the community.
- Provide turnover training for replacement staff and maintain/transfer office environment to relief personnel in a neat and orderly manner.
- May be required to perform data entry, spreadsheet work, and word processing with a high level of accuracy.
- Responsible for proofreading own work, correction of errors, and creation of final copy.
- Operate and maintain general office equipment.
- Responsible for maintaining an organized, clean & safe workplace and ensuring that safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
- Performs other duties and projects as required.
- Coordinates R&R with South Pole HR staff as needed.
- Works with summer HR South Pole staff to help process resignations and terminations when it comes to notifications.
- Facilitates on-ice PQ process for staff, coordinating with Medical as needed.
- Maintains a strong customer service focus and is helpful to staff at all levels. Performs other duties as required.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates and Licenses:
- BA/BS degree required. Four years additional relevant work experience combined with High School diploma/GED will be accepted in lieu of degree.
- A minimum of three (3) years of solid employee relations experience
Expected Skills and Competencies:
- Extensive interpersonal skills/experience
- Ability to respond to stressful situations professionally
- Must be self-driven; possess sound judgment and solid investigation skills
- Must be familiar with and capable of utilizing a variety of communication techniques in order to maintain contact with headquarters on sensitive matters and occurrences
- Must possess the ability to positively address conflict and interact productively with employees and managers on a daily basis, projecting an image of professionalism and competence in all matters
- Computer literacy, including spreadsheet and word processing software
- Knowledge of, and ability to operate and maintain general office equipment
- Must be detail-oriented and have strong organizational skills
- Degree in Human Resources or Business Administration
- PHR or SPHR
- Leadership experience
- Knowledge of Excel and Word
Physical and/or Other Requirements:
- Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods
- Successful completion of Medical and Dental examinations required by the NSF for deployment to Antarctica
- Successful completion of drug screening and background check required by employer
- Successful completion of Federal Background Check required by the NSF
- Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies, and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum as required by the position.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors in extreme cold as required by the position.
- Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain facility credentials/authorization. Note: US Citizenship is required for facility credentials/authorization at this work location.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.