The Atlantic Undersea Test and Evaluation Center (AUTEC) Mission is to provide Naval Warfare Centers, the Fleet, and other customers with accurate undersea, surface, and in-air three-dimensional tracking data and other unique Atlantic test facilities. In support of Research, Development, Test and Evaluation (RDT&E), and Fleet readiness assessment and training. AUTEC is a Major Range and Test Facility Base (MRTFB) and the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Division Newport's largest single team project, providing both deep and shallow water test and training environments.
Member of the ship’s crew. Performs a variety of functions under direct supervision of the ship’s Captain for the AUTEC project.
- Handles rope/cable in mooring and unmooring vessel.
- Acts as helmsman while the vessel is underway.
- Splices lines.
- Keeps vessel clean and paints exterior and interior of vessel as required.
- Operates fire-fighting equipment.
- Helps load ship's stores and stows same.
- Operates mechanical scaling equipment in general maintenance work.
- Cleans assigned areas (i.e., bridge, galley, berthing spaces).
- Performs other similar or related duties aboard the vessel or ashore under the direct supervision of the Ship Captain or Mate as required.
- Conducts rigging operations of heavy equipment per NAVFAC guidelines and standards.
- Handles and transports hazardous ordnance materials up to class / division 1.1 per NAVORD standards.
- Trained in recovery operations on exercise torpedoes (MK-46/MK-50 REXTORPS, MK-48, MOD 4, 5, 6 AND MK-46, 54 EXTORPS).
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Graduate of a maritime training or seamanship school preferred. Must be qualified for and obtain certification in Explosive Weapon Certification, required within 6 months of hire. Must meet physical examination requirements of BUMED Inst. 6270.7 series and OCD (RS) 22 05 1 for occupational exposure to OTTO Fuel II. Must be able to push, pull and lift 50 lbs. Must pass standard pre-employment physical. Excellent oral and written communication skills. This position requires the individual to be eligible to obtain a US Government security clearance; valid driver’s license and passport, US citizenship is required. Must be able to reside in remote location with limited medical facilities.