Senior Supervisor of System Operations - Military Services Group (100110)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
American Water's Military Services Group (MSG) has been awarded a contract for ownership, operation and maintenance of the water and wastewater utility systems at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Washington state. MSG provides water and wastewater services to military installations across the country as part of the federal government’s Utilities Privatization (UP) Program. Join our team by submitting an application for one of our many opportunities at JBLM!
- Responsible for all activities involving the operations and maintenance of water distribution and wastewater collection facilities and appurtenances
- Supervisory responsibilities for employees
- Develops processes for daily staff work functions, oversees use of operational and maintenance information
- Leads implementation of Environmental, Health and Safety programs
- Schedules, coordinates and provides field supervision of staff involved in operational and maintenance activities of water distribution and wastewater collection facilities and appurtenances
- Provide for the training of assigned personnel in work methods, use of tools and equipment, and safety practices
- Orders materials and supplies for routine operations, and preventative and emergency maintenance
- Maintains records and prepares reports.
- Assist in the development of departmental standard operating procedures and emergency response plans and procedures
- Performs other related functions as assigned
- Conducts performance evaluations of assigned subordinate personnel.
- Participates in hiring, and disciplinary actions of assigned subordinate personnel in accordance with company policies
- Follows Company Environmental, Health and Safety Policies, and reports unsafe conditions to supervision immediately
- Knowledge of techniques, equipment, facilities, materials, methods, and procedures used in operations, maintenance, construction, and mechanical repair of water/wastewater facilities and appurtenances
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations
- Able to perform routine maintenance and servicing standardized water / wastewater process control, monitoring, and compliance sampling and testing
- Able to prepare and maintain accurate paperwork such as records, logs, orders, surveys and routine reports as directed
- Able to communicate effectively will all levels of the organization
- Computer literate; MS Word, MS Excel, GIS and CMMS systems
- Able to perform accurate mathematical calculations related to this position
- Able to plan, schedule, prioritize, and coordinate work within assigned work area
- Able to respond to emergencies
- Able to establish effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, customers, and the general public
- Able to work in a team environment
- Must possess system required operational license or the ability to obtain within one year – WDM 4
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in water / wastewater field.
- Degree in sanitary, chemical, civil, electrical or mechanical engineering, public or business administration or other equivalent degree preferred. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.
- Completion of management class (labor laws, people management, development plans, etc.)
- Must possess a valid state (of residence) driver’s license.
- State specific water treatment plant operator license preferred
- Travel to various worksites
- Travel in and around military installation
- Maintain a neat, clean, professional appearance at all times while in uniform or during working hours.
- Maintain a courteous manner when speaking to customers and the general public.
- Both office and field environment
- Must be physically able to work indoor or outdoor work during seasonal heat and cold, or other adverse weather conditions
- Must be physically able to work in confined space environments.
- Must be physically able to wear a respirator
- Must be physically able to remain alert and attentive to job requirements and co-workers
- Champions safety
- Customer obsessed
- Cultivates innovation
- Nimble learning
- Drives Results
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.