Master Electrician (NPP)
The Master Electrician (NPP) will be based at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq and serve the Operations and Maintenance Support Services (OMSS) contract in support of the U.S. Department of State. This position will be responsible for operation and maintenance of electric power generation and distribution equipment and will report to the Power Plant Supervisor. The Power Plant Electrician applies knowledge of complete CAT C-175 power gen equipment, CAT Eaton Switchgear systems, and all associated ancillary control systems. Able to maintain a newly constructed 26MW diesel fueled power plant and medium voltage distribution system. The duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace and ensuring that safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
- Comply with all Environmental Health & Safety and Quality Assurance requirements and goals. Provide information and materials to these divisions as necessary to ensure adequate and legal documentation.
- Assist with the operation of a 26 MW power plant to include synchronizing generators, opening and closing 11 kV breakers and tie switches; and routine maintenance of the Medium Voltage switchgear.
- Test and maintain digital relays and medium voltage vacuum contacts Operate and maintain electric power generation and distribution equipment, records, logs and reports as required.
- Test and repair medium voltage instrumentation and controls, switchgears, and relays;
- Maintain power transformers, Switchboards and Splice and terminate MV conductors
- Utilize specialized software applications to program MV protective relays and components.
- Interpret simple diagrams, and manuals to diagnose and analyze simple to intermediate faults.
- Report any malfunctions or lack of compliance with Statement of Work (SOW) to the Chief Engineer.
- Assist in diagnosis issues with switch gear PLC control and auxiliary control systems
- Perform fault analysis, implement ANSI and IEC standards, and troubleshoot Modbus SCADA system
- Perform inspections and prepare written reports.
- Perform Condition Assessments for numerous transformers, electrical insulation, switches, and breaker panels to identify problems before they lead to system failure.
- Assist in developing SOW when requested including diagrams and specifications in compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and National Electric Code (NEC) standards.
- Collect, analyze, and summarize data for report preparation.
- Perform other administrative tasks including ordering material, inventorying, scheduling work.
- Responsible for facility custodianship of work area and management of tools, equipment, and spare parts for the medium voltage distribution system.
- Take initiative to analyze a situation and to make frequent technical decisions based on specifications, safety and electrical codes.
- Evaluate operational effectiveness and develop/maintain effective operational control mechanisms.
- Perform additional duties and projects as assigned.
- Minimum Acceptable Experience Level:
- Ten (10) years’ MV electrical experience in operations and maintenance services.
- NICET/NETA Level II certification
- Extensive experience working in confined spaces.
- Experience working with Ethyl Propylene Rubber (EPR), cross-linked polyethylene (XLP), and multi-conductor cables.
- Experience working with 600 Amp bolted connections; 200-amp load-break terminations and heat shrink & cold shrink applications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of applicable codes and accepted trade practices.
- Knowledge and experience regarding occupational hazards of the electrical trade, related safety precautions and considerable skill required for the installation, maintenance and repair of MV electrical systems and equipment.
- Ability to test and maintain digital relays and medium voltage vacuum contacts
- Knowledge in the discipline of operations and maintenance projects in an international environment preferred.
- Terminate, troubleshoot, test, & splice fiber optic cable in both indoor & outdoor environments
- Good organizational and communication skills with the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment that requires handling multiple tasks at a given time and rapidly adapting to changing priorities and schedules.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity with an international perspective.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Computer skills, specifically in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to become an active and functioning member of a team.
- Ability to be innovative and be an agent for change.
- Expert communication skills to facilitate and disseminate information.
Education: A high school diploma or GED.
Passport, Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid drivers’ license from Home of Record.
- As part of pre-contingency requirements, at the time of applying, candidates must possess a valid passport of home country (or have started the process of obtaining one) with a minimum of 18 months remaining to expiration date with 8 blank pages.
- Master Electrician License is required.
Security Vetting: Already possess a US Government issued Secret security clearance or be able to obtain a favorable US Government clearance prior to being hired is required for the position. Must maintain eligibility at the required certification or clearance level for the duration of the contract.
Language Skills: Satisfactory English proficiency to meet job requirements and to adhere and comply with safety, health, and security measures.
Medical: Successfully complete and pass the medical and dental examinations as required by Amentum and our customer for deployment to Iraq. Must maintain physical and dental requirements for duration of deployment.
- Relevant overseas MV Electrical experience
- Experience working with Amentum.
- Experience working with Scope of Work, sub-contractors, budgets, estimating, working drawings and as built drawings.
- National Cable Splicing Certification Board (NCSCB) certification.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.