Junior Electrical Engineer
Amentum is seeking a technically-oriented Junior Electrical Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD to support a Power and Cooling Service Provider program for a mission critical customer responsible for assisting with modernization and modeling of the new and existing electrical infrastructure. This is an office-related position that offers a flexible work schedule.
$2,000 sign-on bonus included!
You are versatile, enthusiastic to work in highly flexible, team-oriented environments with exceptional communication, and enjoy utilizing your analytical and organizational skills. Our team of experienced technicians, combined with your engineering knowledge, will propel your career forward with opportunity for a deep understanding in power systems. We can offer training, development, opportunities to travel, and opportunities to work on unique projects.
- Utilize experience in Power Systems to complete engineering calculations and analyses, maintain and submit reports on complex assignments, provide technical input during events that affect the performance of critical mission systems, and provide feedback regarding the operation and condition of electrical infrastructure.
- You will analyze load flow, short-circuit, protective device coordination and arc-flash studies; and will work with the campus model team personnel and field resources to conduct surveys and gather critical information for analysis.
- You’ll be a part of a dedicated team of engineers responsible for modeling and simulating the electrical infrastructure using the ETAP software, and maintaining an engineering technical library and informational repositories.
- You will perform the analysis, simulation, monitoring, control, optimization, and automation of electrical power systems.
- Utilize ETAP (or similar) to provide coordination assistance with protective device selection and coordination, Time-Current Curves (TCCs), and Arcflash Reduction Maintenance Settings (ARMS)
- Utilize understanding of codes and standards including, but not limited to:
- IEEE 1584-2002 & 2018 - IEEE Guide for Performing Arc Flash Hazard Calculations
- IEEE 242-2001 - IEEE Protection and Coordination of Industrial and Commercial Power Systems
- IEEE 3000 Standards Collection™ for Industrial & Commercial Power Systems
- Develop analytical skills around Low Voltage/Amp Circuit Breakers (LVACBs), Overcurrent Relays (OCRs), Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs) and Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPSs) for known problems or during unscheduled events (e.g. outages)
- Review engineering designs and incorporate verified as-built settings into the facility/campus “master model”
Here at Amentum, we believe in fostering a sense of belonging. We welcome diversity, encourage growth and development, promote safety first, and believe curiosity is the spark for innovation. We take care of our employees who in turn take care of our customers, driving the success of our business.
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems Engineering, or a related scientific field, and at least 3 years of electrical design experience
- Or an Associates degree, and at least 7 years of electrical design experience
- Or a High school diploma/GED, and at least 11 years of electrical design experience
- Must maintain a valid state driver license
- Position may require occasional travel in short sprints (roughly 2-3 weeks maximum)
- Due to the nature of the work, must be a US citizen
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain site access approval
- Experience in Power Systems modeling
- Active security clearance