Supervises a shift of firefighters that control and extinguishes aircraft, structures, and other fires to protect people, resources, and the environment.
- Maintains a safe workplace program and ensures that safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
- Complies with all ASC Environmental, Safety and Health (ESH), Waste Management and Quality Assurance requirements, goals, policies and procedures, providing documentation to these divisions as necessary.
- Implements fire protection programs that conform to the United States Antarctic Program, including the operation of contract locations in Antarctica.
- Responds to and/or supervises fire/EMS/Aircraft and hazardous material emergencies, as necessary.
- Manages emergencies in accordance with the CEMP and assists the chief with management of the fire prevention and training programs.
- Supervises and performs evaluations of fire department lieutenants.
- Ensures that emergency equipment under the control of the fire department is operational and in a constant state of readiness.
- Interacts with agency officials and the community.
- Trains and orients fire department personnel on policies and procedures.
- Performs duties in support of the Operations Division metrics.
- Works with the Fire Chief to address all performance concerns in the Fire House.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the Assistant Chief.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates and Licenses:
- Eight years full time firefighting experience, volunteer experience or paid on-call time.
- At least four of the eight years required experience must be in a supervisory role, or two as a Lieutenant with the Antarctic Fire Department.
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Fire Officer II
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Firefighter I & II
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Fire Inspector I
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Fire Instructor I
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Airport Fire Fighter
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Hazardous Materials First Responder Operations Level.
- CPR Certification
- National Incident Management System (NIMS): ICS 100, 200, 700 and 800.
Expected Skills and Competencies:
- Physical activities to include lifting up to the safety regulation maximum, climbing, crawling and dragging hose. Duties will be performed indoors and outdoors, and work may be performed in a variety of weather conditions including severe cold, wind, and limited visibility.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Associate of Science degree in Fire Science.
- EMT-B or higher
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Fire Officer III.
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Fire Inspector II.
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Fire Instructor II.
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD or State Certified Driver Operator Pumper / Mobile Water Supply.
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD or State Certified Driver Operator ARFF.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS): ICS 300 and 400.
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Hazardous Materials Incident Commander.
- Previous USAP experience.
Physical and/or Other Requirements:
- Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods
- Successful completion of Medical and Dental examinations required by the NSF for deployment to Antarctica
- Successful completion of drug screening and background check required by employer
- Successful completion of Federal Background Check required by the NSF
- Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies, and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum as required by the position.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors in extreme cold as required by the position.
- Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
- Valid Driver’s License issued in the United States
- Must be able to obtain and maintain facility credentials/authorization. Note: US Citizenship is required for facility credentials/authorization at this work location.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.