Safety Engineer 3 - KPLSS II
Purpose and Scope:
Apply technical and regulatory expertise to ensure contractual compliance of OSHA and other regulatory requirements. Develop, coordinate, and implement occupational safety and health programs. Utilize Process Safety Management principles to oversee PSM activities. Work directly with engineering team members in the development of hazard analyses and technical operating procedures.
1) Develop, implement and maintain occupational safety and health procedures for assigned program areas.
2) Audit organizational compliance and develop corrective action reports.
3) Review engineering designs for new or modified facilities and provide recommendations to engineering staff.
4) Establish and implement short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures; monitor and evaluate procedural effectiveness, and evaluate for improvement.
5) Provide training support for assigned program areas.
6) Keeps abreast of pending regulatory developments through reference sources. Review literature in the fields of occupational safety and health.
7) Investigate incidents, perform root cause analyses and provide guidance toward appropriate corrective action.
8) Advise administration on appropriate risk management policies, procedures, and issues of safety.
9) Design or select methodology to be used in the analysis of unique or complex data collected from anomaly investigations, gathered from literature, and performs or directs analyses, as required.
10) Maintain a working knowledge of statutory requirements related to the environmental, safety, and/or health regulations.
11) Perform hazard analyses using a variety of techniques.
12) Perform a range of document development, analysis, or review tasks under minimal supervision.
13) Coordinate and work closely with engineering, logistics, financial, and program management disciplines to assist with the defining of system specifications and requirements.
14) Conduct site visits, assist with investigations, and analyze engineering problems, propose solutions and alternatives, and provide recommendations.
15) Review engineering documentation standards and test procedures. Evaluate specifications and engineering drawings for systems under contract responsibility.
Perform all other position related duties as assigned or requested.
Work Environment, Physical Demands, and Mental Demands:
Most positions involve work typical of office environment with no unusual hazards, occasional lifting to 20 pounds, constant sitting with occasional use of computer terminal, constant use of sight abilities while reviewing documents, constant use of speech/hearing abilities for communication, constant mental alertness, must posses planning/organizing skills, and must be able to work under deadlines. Some positions involve work in environments (e.g., shipboard, labs, outside locations, etc.) where mechanical equipment, weapons, etc. are being installed, tested, analyzed/monitored, operated, and/or maintained. Equipment may be loud and noisy or have exposed moving components. Such positions may involve routine lifting up to 50 pounds, regular handling, grasping, kneeling and carrying, and constant use of vision and mental alertness is required.
Safety - Amentum enforces a safety culture whereby all employees have the responsibility for continuously developing and maintaining a safe work environment. As appropriate, each employee is responsible for completing all training requirements and fulfilling all self-aid/buddy aid responsibilities, participating in emergency response tasks and serving on safety committees and teams.
Quality - Quality is the foundation for the management of our business and the keystone to our goal of customer satisfaction. It is our policy to consistently provide services that meet customer expectations. Accordingly, each employee must conform to the Amentum Quality Policy and carry out job activities in compliance with applicable Amentum Quality System documents and customer contracts. Each employee must read and understand his/her Quality Management and Customer Satisfaction responsibilities.
Procedure Compliance - Each employee must read, understand and implement the general and specific operational, safety, quality and environmental requirements of all plans, procedures and policies pertaining to his/her job.
Bachelors degree in Engineering, or related scientific field and at least 5 years of job-related experience or equivalent. Good communications and analytical skills; working knowledge of computer systems and integrated software application programs. Candidate must have experience preparing, reviewing, and revising technical procedures, and interpreting system drawings.
US citizenship is required for unescorted access to restricted work area(s). Must be able to successfully pass a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI).
Local candidates preferred. No relocation funding.
Knowledge of chemical and/or pressure systems, and Process Safety Management requirements is preferred. A candidate with an Associate Safety Professional or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification is also preferred.