Labor and Employment Counsel
Under the supervision of the Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, this position will provide legal support in labor and employment, workers’ compensation, and litigation.
1) Conduct research on various labor and employment, workers’ compensation, and litigation issues.
2) Assist the Legal team with advising, counseling, and consulting with senior leadership and other stakeholders about various labor & employment and litigation matters, including identifying areas of risk and making recommendations.
3) Provide legal support to the Company during federal and state agency investigations (e.g., EEOC, OFCCP, DFEH, NLRB, OSHA, etc.) by drafting/revising position statements, responses to requests for information, and mediation statements; attending mediation and settlement conferences; negotiating and drafting settlements.
4) Provide legal support by handling demands and litigation by and against the Company, including contributing to litigation strategy; drafting/revising responses to demand letters; drafting/revising litigation documents, including pleadings, discovery responses, memorandums, brief, and settlement/release documentation; overseeing outside counsel.
5) Develop and implement corporate policies, practices, and procedures to ensure that all Company activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, and federal laws.
6) Perform all other position related duties as assigned or requested.
JD degree from a nationally recognized, accredited law school required. Must be a member in good standing with a bar of any state. Must have or be able to obtain Corporate Counsel certification from the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners if not otherwise barred in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
This position requires at a minimum three (3) to five (5) years of experience in either labor & employment or litigation. Position may require travel.