Planner Estimator – Engineering Technician
The Atlantic Undersea Test and Evaluation Center (AUTEC) Mission is to provide Naval Warfare Centers, the Fleet, and other customers with accurate undersea, surface, and in-air three-dimensional tracking data and other unique Atlantic test facilities. In support of Research, Development, Test and Evaluation (RDT&E), and Fleet readiness assessment and training. AUTEC is a Major Range and Test Facility Base (MRTFB) and the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Division Newport's largest single team project, providing both deep and shallow water test and training environments.
The Planner Estimator operates in coordination with Facilities Engineering, Work Control and Facilities Maintenance, plans, estimates, and manages single and multiple discipline projects that may exceed the limits for routine repairs as directed by Technical Instructions for Facilities Maintenance. Projects prepared by the Planner Estimator are to be executed either via vendor or with in-house workforce on the AUTEC project.
Allocates available material and labor resources; honors the constraints of scope, schedule, and budget; assists project coordinators with project development; provides design estimates for feasibility studies and conceptual designs for developing customer and internal budgets. Develops Requests for Quotes (RFQ) and Request for Proposal (RFP) procurement packages for vendor services that include Scopes of Work, Cost Estimates, Construction Schedules and rough drawings (as needed) as well as evaluating and qualifying vendor proposals.
- Allocates available material and labor resources; honors the constraints of scope, schedule, and budget; assists project coordinators and project coordinators with project development; provides design estimates for feasibility studies and conceptual designs for developing customer and internal budgets.
- Develops procurement packages for vendor services.
- Complete assignments under the direction of the Facilities Engineering department manager.
- Coordinates with Work Control to identify Level of Effort Estimates for Work Orders that may exceed the limits for routine repairs as directed by Technical Instructions for Facilities Maintenance.
- Prepare estimates for maintenance or repair work orders; transfer estimate data to appropriate accounting and scheduling data management systems.
- Maintains the data base for Planner Estimator projects.
- Attends regularly scheduled Work Order Review Meetings
- Develops procurement documents for vendor services and materials for task completion.
- Monitors and inspects in progress work to assure that work is being performed as planned, and in compliance with safety codes and regulations.
- Assists construction superintendent and field personnel in constructability issues; evaluate proposed field changes and estimate change orders.
- Collects and inputs asset data into CMMS program (MAXIMO).
- Aids in the development of Preventive Maintenance plans and assignments.
- Reviews work requests, verify asset information, and add/correct job plans.
- Conducts field assessment of asset labeling.
- Consults with customers and personnel in other departments to discuss task scope.
- Submits monthly reports as required by contract.
- Supports escort requirements as needed to secure facilities
- Attends all required training classes when represented and scheduled.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Associates degree in construction related field preferred.
- 5 years related experience working in facilities maintenance and repair preferred.
- AutoCAD skills a plus.
- Must obtain AUTEC man lift operator license within 6 months of hire.
- Competent in Microsoft Suites (Word, Excel and Outlook), MAXIMO and estimating software a plus.
- Must be able to climb ladders and access utility trenches and on occasion confined spaces.
- Interpersonal skills to interface with all levels of personnel in multi-cultural team-oriented environment.
- Occasionally lifts/carries/pushes/pulls up to 50 pounds of supplies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license and US passport will be required.
- This position requires the individual to be eligible to obtain a US Government security clearance; US citizenship is required.
- Must be able to reside in remote location with limited medical facilities