Government & Regulatory Affairs Consultant
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with the FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
The Maryland Government & Regulatory Affairs Consultant serves as the primary liaison to the Maryland Public Service Commission (Commission or PSC). The Consultant develops and maintains positive business relationships with the Commission with a high degree of integrity and credibility. This position works with internal and external stakeholders to develop company policy positions and strategy in order to achieve regulatory objectives.
The position will be located in Maryland with travel as needed.
- Serving as liaison to the PSC commissioners and staff
- Representing the company at commission meetings, stakeholder processes, and related interactions
- Communicating with external stakeholders on a wide range of issues effecting FirstEnergy and the industry
- Monitoring, analyzing, and reporting on all regulatory matters at the Commission and making recommendations to management to support decision making
- Building relationships with all FirstEnergy business units
- Developing and executing regulatory strategies that advance the goals of the company
- Coordinating regulatory activities with a variety of company business units to ensure proper alignment with business objectives
- Understanding and staying current on all applicable laws, pending legislation, administrative rules, and policies that impact FirstEnergy
- Acting with a high degree of integrity, honesty, and credibility when representing FirstEnergy
- Foreseeing regulatory, legislative, and policy opportunities to advance the company's business objectives
- Representing the company at industry meetings, conferences, and events
- Working with peer utilities, consumer groups, trade associations, and other regulatory and legislative stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a business-related, political science, legal, rates or communications field is required
- Minimum of 10-15 years of relevant experience is required. Related work experience includes, but is not limited to, positions in Government Affairs, Regulatory Affairs, Legal, State or Federal Government, Public Relations, and Communications with emphasis on demonstrated problem solving skills, strategy, and public policy.
- Knowledge of the utility and energy industries and regulations preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of the regulatory and public policy processes
- Ability to advance policy positions with key stakeholders and represent the best interest of the company
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Strong business acumen combined with the ability to inspire and lead a team while promoting the values of trust and integrity
- Competence in using information technology resources
- Strong planning and project management skills to achieve company objectives
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create results driven and team oriented work environment
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team