Hazardous Waste Technician
Amentum is currently seeking a Hazardous Waste Technician for the Hazardous Materials Minimization Center (HMMC) Okinawa.
Shift work, weekends, mandatory overtime (with proper notice given) and cross-training may be required in order to meet daily/weekly workload requirements.
Relocation costs will not be reimbursed or provided.
A Hazardous Waste Technician collects, receives, handles, transports, processes, packages and prepares hazardous material and hazardous waste for storage and shipment. Work is performed in a warehouse setting and involves in handling hazardous materials and waste that may be flammable, caustic, toxic and/or explosive.
- Processes hazardous waste (HW), including, but not limited to, inventorying, inspecting, receiving, and picking/staging.
- Inspects and verifies HW for proper labeling, marking, containerization, and storage.
- Retrieves hazardous waste (HW) from customer accumulation points (HWAPS).
- Manifests and documents generator, weight, waste stream, etc. Ensures waste streams are properly segregated prior to transport.
- Ensures HW containers returned to the HWSA does not have mixed HW streams, is properly identified with pickup origin, waste information, dates, categories, and type of waste.
- Processes HW returned from customer HWAPs, includes aerosol can punching, purging and recycling fire extinguishers, emptying and draining oil containers, sorts light bulbs, sorts batteries by type.
- Prepares HW containers for closeout by the HW supervisor; marks, labels, verifies contents and container details/numbers, weight and dates.
Perform all other position related duties as assigned or requested.
Work Environment, Physical Demands, and Mental Demands:
Typical office environment with frequent visits to the hazardous waste storage area, occasional lifting up to 50 pounds, constant sitting while using the computer terminal, constant use of sight abilities while reviewing documents, constant use of speech/hearing abilities for communication, constant mental alertness, must possess planning/organizing skills, and must be able to work under deadlines. Ability to lift and carry loads of various weights and dimensions and ability to walk and stand for prolonged periods when working with hazardous material and waste. May be required to operate a forklift up to 6,000 pounds.
Safety – Amentum enforces a safety culture whereby all employees have the responsibility for continuously developing and maintaining a safe work environment. As appropriate, each employee is responsible for completing all training requirements and fulfilling all self-aid/buddy aid responsibilities, participating in emergency response tasks and serving on safety committees and teams.
Quality - Quality is the foundation for the management of our business and the keystone to our goal of customer satisfaction. It is our policy to consistently provide services that meet customer expectations. Accordingly, each employee must conform to the Amentum Quality Policy and carry out job activities in compliance with applicable Amentum Quality System documents and customer contracts. Each employee must read and understand his/her Quality Management and Customer Satisfaction responsibilities.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of hazardous material handling techniques.
- Must complete training mandated by the company within 30 days of start date.
- Valid drivers license or have the ability to obtain one with 30 days of start date.
- Ability to deal move material, containers, etc up to 50 lbs.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos and have the ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Forklift experience preferred.
- Post high school training or experience in hazardous material/waste handling and safety procedures preferred.