Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the World
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
This worker operates and inspects machines or equipment to diagnose defects, dismantles and reassembles equipment, using hoists and hand tools, examines parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges, replaces defective engines and subassemblies, such as transmissions, and tests overhauled equipment to insure operating efficiency.
- Test mechanical products and equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance with manufacturers' specifications.
- Repair and replace damaged or worn parts.
- Operate and inspect machines or heavy equipment in order to diagnose defects.
- Diagnose faults or malfunctions to determine required repairs, using engine diagnostic equipment such as computerized test equipment and calibration devices.
- Dismantle and reassemble heavy equipment using hoists and hand tools.
- Clean, lubricate, and perform other routine maintenance work on equipment and vehicles.
- Examine parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges.
- Schedule maintenance for industrial machines and equipment, and keep equipment service records.
- Observes and follows all safety rules and procedures, including wearing required personal safety equipment.
- Conducts assigned portions of inventories. Uses bar code wands, labeling equipment, laser scanning equipment, and/or computer terminals. May require a CAC for system access.
- May weld broken parts and structural members with proper certifications.
- Operate tools and equipment in performance of duties as approved per management.
- Duties may include related tasks associated with Motor
- Equipment Metal Mechanic and Motor Vehicle Mechanic SCA position descriptions.
- Performs all housekeeping and maintenance duties as needed to ensure workspace upkeep.
- Performs all other duties as assigned, requested, or related, unless otherwise excluded by this description or the established collective bargaining agreement.
- Knowledge and proper use of special tools/equipment required to perform assigned maintenance tasks is mandatory.
- Five years of overall experience and/or training required, with at least 2 of those years performing work on construction type equipment
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED) is required.
- Must be physically capable of; lifting 45 pounds, standing on stepladders, and reaching overhead.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and be able to operate a government general-purpose vehicle.
- Position may require travel.
- Position requires the ability to pass and maintain a Security Clearance.
- Must be able to speak, read and understand English.
- This position requires the candidate to pass a pre-employment physical examination and urinary analysis.
- Must be available for any shift, must be willing to work weekends and other hours as needed.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.