CAD Designer - Junior
Amentum is looking for a CAD Designer - Junior to join our team in McLean, VA! In this role, you will be responsible for preparing preliminary design concepts and/or design drawings often of a complex nature for mechanical, electrical, physical, and site applications for engineering staff and customers. Prepare CAD drawings and illustrations in accordance with customer format requirements and drawing standards. Check all drawings generated in department for accuracy. Create/Maintain drawing file-system for records management.
Must be a U.S. Citizen, able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/SCI with Polygraph Security Clearance.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare plans and detail drawings working from sketches or Engineer's notes. Develop 3-D and solid CAD/CAE models to assist in the development of equipment arrangement drawings.
- Select proper size drawing formats, drawing scales, and correct views and sections.
- Research files and catalogs for information required for job.
- Consult with engineering/originator for approval of basic concepts.
- Draft working drawings and wiring diagrams of electronic and electrical equipment for the erection, installation and repair of electrical equipment and wiring.
- Draw plans for installation or as-built layout of plumbing, HVAC, and fire protection equipment.
- Draw plans for structural construction; steel, wood, masonry, and, land layout.
- Check all drawings to assure incorporation of drafting manual standards and procedures, electrical and ISO standards, and other national standards as required; submit drawings for checking.
- Incorporate as-built changes to systems and structures into base site file/drawings.
- Perform surveys of equipment and spaces to incorporate into drawings.
- Collaborate with engineers on new design concepts and drawings.
- Visit job sites and make preliminary layouts to check critical design problems, as necessary.
- Create and manage file system organizational structure to be able to promptly assist customer requests.
- Exercise independent judgement in selecting and interpreting data based on knowledge of the design intent.
- Perform all other position related duties as assigned or requested.
- 3 years of job-related experience.
- Vocational/technical training beyond high school
- Thorough knowledge of drafting technology and operation of CAD software/equipment.
- Position may require small amount of local travel.
Must be a U.S. Citizen
Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/SCI with Polygraph Security Clearance
Work Environment, Physical Demands, and Mental Demands:
Typical office environment with no unusual hazards, occasional lifting to 20 pounds, constant sitting while using the computer terminal, constant use of sight abilities while reviewing documents, constant use of speech/hearing abilities for communication, constant mental alertness, must possess planning/organizing skills, and must be able to work under deadlines.
Safety - Amentum enforces a safety culture whereby all employees have the responsibility for continuously developing and maintaining a safe work environment. As appropriate, each employee is responsible for completing all training requirements and fulfilling all self-aid/buddy aid responsibilities, participating in emergency response tasks and serving on safety committees and teams.
Quality - Quality is the foundation for the management of our business and the keystone to our goal of customer satisfaction. It is our policy to consistently provide services that meet customer expectations. Accordingly, each employee must conform to the Amentum Quality Policy and carry out job activities in compliance with applicable Amentum Quality System documents and customer contracts. Each employee must read and understand his/her Quality Management and Customer Satisfaction responsibilities.
Procedure Compliance - Each employee must read, understand and implement the general and specific operational, safety, quality and environmental requirements of all plans, procedures and policies pertaining to his/her job.
- An undergraduate degree in Electrical or Mechanical related studies is preferred
- Active Top Secret security clearance