Law Clerk I
The September 11th Victim Compensation Fund ("VCF") was created to provide compensation for any individual or personal representative of a deceased individual who suffered physical harm or was killed as a result of the terrorist-related aircraft crashes of September 11, 2001 or the debris removal efforts that took place in the immediate aftermath of those crashes. The original VCF operated from 2001-2004. In 2011, the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 was signed into law and reactivated the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund in October 2011. In December 2015, the Fund was reauthorized for five additional years. More information about the VCF can be found at https://www.vcf.gov/.
A final step in the VCF review of claims is completed by the Quality Review Team. The team verifies that claims do not have any issues that will prevent payment. Working closely with other VCF teams and, under the supervision of the Quality Review Project Manager, Law Clerk I’s perform the following duties and responsibilities while complying with established VCF Standard Operating Procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Confirm that claimants/victims sufficiently submit all documentation required for award payment
- Confirm that determinations are consistent with VCF standards and are entered correctly into the Claims Management System.
- Quality Review includes the review of eligibility and compensation determinations, including, but not limited to: (1) award letter instructions, (2) non-economic loss awards, (3) economic loss awards, (4) offsets, and (5) data points used to calculate lost earnings, replacement services and medical expenses awards.
- Participate in meetings with Quality and Cold Reviewers to discuss issues identified during post-determination review.
- Review generated award letters and missing information loss calculation letters for accuracy.
- Assist with follow-up/issue resolution between claim review teams and the Quality Review team.
- Enter award determinations or corrections in the claim management system when required.
- Work on special projects as assigned and other projects as needed.
- Attend weekly Quality Review and Cold Review Teams’ Meetings.
- Attend weekly Claim Review Team Meetings and related trainings.
- Assist with Cold Review as needed.
- Perform complex legal research for the trial staff; assist in preparing draft legal documents, such as motions, briefs, memoranda of law, etc.; review documents for relevance and privilege; and assist attorneys with all phases of litigation.
- Understands tasks, task objectives and the context of those tasks in the claim review lifecycle.
- Has a collaborative nature and is comfortable coordinating across teams and with various managers, supervisors, and team members.
- Comfortable working in an environment with high volume inputs, outputs, and deadlines.
- Passionate about attention to detail, deadlines and work quality.
- Highly organized, able to multi-task, prioritizes tasks and consistently and accurately performs detailed work under pressure without compromising quality.
- Proactively identifies issues that impact quality review coordination and proposes alternate solutions to address issues.
- Has excellent typing/keyboarding skills and written and oral communication capabilities.
- Law degree, or currently attending an ABA-accredited law school, having completed at least one year of study. Successfully passed a bar examination preferred.
- Requires sound working knowledge of federal and state court systems, legal research procedures, and legal research resources.
- Requires excellent written and oral communication skills and thorough knowledge of legal research tools such as LEXIS and Westlaw.
- Proficient with MS Excel (intermediate user or higher), MS Access, and other Microsoft Office suite products as well as
- Must have hands-on familiarity with a variety of computer applications, including databases (such as document review and file management systems).
- Requires hands-on familiarity with ESI tools and knowledge of e-discovery procedures and resources.
- Experience in claim management or processing environments
- Must be able to obtain and maintain MRPT facility credentials/authorization. Note: US Citizenship is required for MRPT facility credentials/authorization at this work location.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.