- Operates a full range of machine shop equipment including but not limited to Summit 16B engine lathe, Sharp 2480V heavy duty lathe, Sharp VH3 milling machine, steel band saws, boring, honing, and surfacing machines.
- Performs preventative maintenance and repairs to all machine shop equipment.
- Performs alignment procedures on the machines.
- May perform work involved in fabrication, modification, or repair of equipment used for scientific research projects.
- Performs machine shop work as necessary for vehicle and construction equipment repair.
- Performs machine shop work as required by other McMurdo-based work centers.
- Complies with all ASC Environmental, Health & Safety, and Quality Assurance requirements and goals. Provides documentation as necessary to ensure adequate legal documentation.
- Maintains a safe workplace and ensures that safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates and Licenses:
- Four years of experience as a Machinist is required.
Expected Skills and Competencies:
- Must be innovative and creative in adapting available materials and parts to meet a wide range of needs and applications.
- Must be proficient in layout and design of prototypes.
Physical and/or Other Requirements:
- Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods
- Successful completion of Medical and Dental examinations required by the NSF for deployment to Antarctica
- Successful completion of drug screening and background check required by employer
- Successful completion of Federal Background Check required by the NSF
- Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies, and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum as required by the position.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors in extreme cold as required by the position.
- Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
- Valid Driver’s License issued in the United States
- Must be able to obtain and maintain facility credentials/authorization. Note: US Citizenship is required for facility credentials/authorization at this work location.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.