Maintenance Trades Helper - Military Services Group (101664)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water (NYSE:AWK) is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,500 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and regulated-like drinking water and wastewater services to an estimated 14 million people in 25 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
In September 2008, under the Department of Defense’s Utility Privatization Program, American Water was awarded ownership and a 50-year contract for the operations and maintenance of the water and wastewater distribution and collection systems and treatment facilities at Fort Polk in Leesville, Louisiana.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.Primary Role
Under the direction of the Supervisor Operations performs technical work in the maintenance and repair of systems and equipment in Water/Wastewater Systems, operates equipment in the repair and maintenance of water and wastewater systems, and performs general duties assigned by project management.Key Accountabilities
- Performs repairs, preventive and corrective maintenance on plant process equipment including pumps, fire hydrants, valves, water tanks, chemical feed equipment, motors, electrical controls, and related components
- Cleans and maintains wet wells and other pump station grounds, facilities, and related equipment
- Performs scheduled and unscheduled maintenance and repairs as needed
- Performs routine inspections of water wells, pump stations, lift stations and storage tanks, recording operational data in logs at direction of operator. Participates in repairs to water and sewer mains and services
- Responds to emergency operational situations during off-duty hours, rotating on-call duties with supervisor or other designated employees
- Follows Company’s Environmental, Health, and Safety Policies
- Pickup and deliver materials to work site. Materials may be located on post or off post and may require travel outside of the work location
- Performs line locating of existing water and sewer utilities
- Effective and respectful communication and interactions with other employees, supervisors, individuals from other organizations, and citizen customers
- Performs other related functions assigned or as they become apparent
- Able to read gauges and meters
- Prepare and maintain accurate paperwork such as records, logs, orders, surveys and routine reports as directed
- Past working knowledge using mechanical skills, for making minor repairs to process equipment, piping, motors, etc. Minor electrical troubleshooting skills
- Some computer skills; MS Word, MS Excel and SCADA systems
- Knowledge of the techniques, equipment and materials used in the mechanical maintenance and repair of related equipment and systems
- Understand how to operate basic components of a water distribution system
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations
- High school graduate or GED
- Less than 5 %
• Must possess a valid, active state driver’s license
• Prefer (but not required) water and/or wastewater license
- Employee may be required to work indoor or outdoor work during seasonal heat and cold or other adverse weather conditions
- Must be physically able to complete necessary tasks while wearing an approved respirator as required, as some required work may have potential for exposure to harmful contaminants, environments, noise, etc.
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds, unassisted
- This position will constitute a 40-hour work week but may include a weekend day. In addition, the position requires an on-call schedule.
- The position requires periodic overtime work as needed to maintain system operations which includes weekends and holidays
- Champions safety
- Cultivates innovation
- Customer obsessed
- Drives Results
- Nimble learning
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because they are an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.