Shop Foreman - VMF
Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the World
Shop Foreman - VMF
Directs the maintenance and repair of equipment and vehicles as outlined by the VMF Supervisor. Performs extremely complex repairs on a broad range of equipment in the shop and in the field. Functions as a technical expert in the field of equipment and vehicle maintenance and repair.
- Directs the maintenance and repair of equipment and vehicles.
- Functions as recognized technical expert in the field of equipment and vehicle maintenance and repair.
- Performs extremely complex repairs on a broad range of equipment in the shop and in the field.
- Responsible for accomplishing corrective maintenance as outlined by VMF Supervisor.
- Directs the work of VMF staff engaged in the repair and upkeep of mobile and stationary equipment, associated tooling and materials, and supporting parts stock.
- Ensures work request priorities are completed and adjusts tasking as required to meet urgent needs.
- Coordinates work orders and assigns personnel to specific tasks.
- Executes and/or monitors all in-progress work to ensure quality, timely completion and control of material.
- Documents work order progress and communicates issues with customers, Service Writer, and VMF Supervisor.
- Maintains records of shop activities, on both individual work orders and permanent technical documentation (printed shop manuals i.e. Caterpillar, Canadian Foremost, some Ford manuals, etc).
- Prepares and submits reports on the progress of all work projects.
- Writes end-of-season performance evaluations on the heavy and light equipment technicians, and the technician assistant.
- Generates purchase requisitions for materials. Provides assessments of and recommendations for equipment.
- Complies with ASC Environmental Health & Safety and Quality Assurance requirements and goals and ensures that subordinate employees do the same. Provides documentation to others as necessary to ensure adequate legal documentation.
- Handles confidential matters (personnel actions, management reports, etc.) in accordance with management policy.
- Responsible for the training and development of the crew assigned, to include a strong safety culture and an environment of technical competence and professional execution of a world-class maintenance program.
- Responsible for the safety and accountability of the crew assigned, to include maintaining a safe workplace program, and ensuring that safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
- May workdays, nights, or swing shifts depending on operational needs. Assists other mechanics and members of the VMF team as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates and Licenses:
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience with heavy and light vehicle & equipment maintenance and repair, required.
- Two (2) years’ supervisory or leadership experience is required.
- A minimum of one season VMF experience working in Antarctica required.
Expected Skills and Competencies:
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to communicate well to both management and front-line service workers.
- Must possess critical problem solving and decision-making ability.
- Must have ability to work with minimal supervision and frequent interruptions.
- Must be detail oriented and able to shift focus with changing priorities.
- Proficiency in lifting and bracing large and heavy parts/equipment with jacks, cranes, floor lift and cribbing is required.
- Requires knowledge of sound mechanical practices as applied to commercial and special-purpose equipment, to include electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic systems.
- Two years training at a technical school is preferred.
- Experience with generators, mobile cranes, light plants, compaction, ski resort grooming, waste management and firefighting equipment is highly preferred.
- Experience with Fuel Master (or equivalent fuel management software) strongly preferred.
- Must have computer experience, preferably with Windows 10 and Windows Office suite. Must be proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with an asset management and electronic corrective maintenance program (Maximo preferred).
- Previous experience with remote polar operations is preferred.
Physical and/or Other Requirements:
- Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods
- Successful completion of Medical and Dental examinations required by the NSF for deployment to Antarctica
- Successful completion of drug screening and background check required by employer
- Successful completion of Federal Background Check required by the NSF
- Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies, and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum as required by the position.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors in extreme cold as required by the position.
- Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
- Valid Driver’s License issued in the United States
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.