Pipefitter - Facilities
Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the World
Pipefitter - Facilities
Seasonal Contract position supporting the National Science Foundation managed United States Antarctic Program as part of the Antarctic Support Contract (ASC). Pipefitter will perform maintenance or construction welding tasking, or any combination thereof, under the supervision of the Plumbing Foreman. Tasking is based on employee’s prior work experience and ASC schedule requirements.
Position Responsibilities (not all inclusive):
- Perform pipe welding and general welding tasks on maintenance and construction projects
- Perform cutting, fitting/welding, connection, and installation of piping
- Weld various types and sizes of piping
- Timely response to emergency service calls during and outside of normal working hours
- Accurate and thorough documentation of hours worked, tasking performed, materials used, and processes involved
- Advise immediate Supervisor of job progress and material/labor requirements
- Accomplish tasking working from Job Plans, verbal information, schematics, blueprints, wiring diagrams, documents, vendor/manufacturer manuals, and applicable specifications and codes.
- Follow established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), suggest revisions as needed, and create SOPs as directed
- Perform tasking outdoors in environmentally challenging conditions including wind and extreme cold weather
- Use solid decision-making ability and sound judgment to safely and effectively solve problems
- Proactively identify any unsafe conditions or hazards and communicate them effectively
- Work directly with other departments to plan and complete tasking
- Learn and use computer-based labor, material, and maintenance tracking applications
- May deploy to remote research support facilities for day trips or extended periods (McMurdo only)
- Occasionally utilize the assistance of other station personnel to complete tasking, or assist other trades or departments with their tasking
- Comply with all ASC Environmental, Safety and Health (ESH), Waste Management and Quality Assurance requirements
- Participate in Work Center Safety Program and ASC safety objectives
- Participate in community programs such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (station clean-up), “GASH” (galley clean-up at Palmer), and recycling efforts
- Perform other duties as required
Required Education, Experience, Certificates and Licenses:
- Previous 6G welding certification at time of hire
- Must pass a 6G welding certification exam prior to deployment
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in pipe fitting and pipe welding work
Expected Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to read and interpret design drawings, specifications, and diagrams
- Experience in construction and/or maintenance of commercial and/or industrial facilities
- Possess prior computer experience and be able and willing to learn and effectively utilize computer-based labor, inventory, and maintenance tracking applications
- Possess the competencies, willingness and ability to perform the duties of position
- Experience working with a variety of pipe materials
- Prior cold weather welding experience
Physical and/or Other Requirements:
- Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods
- Successful completion of Medical and Dental examinations required by the NSF for deployment to Antarctica
- Successful completion of drug screening and background check required by employer
- Successful completion of Federal Background Check required by the NSF
- Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies, and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum as required by the position.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors in extreme cold as required by the position.
- Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
- Valid Driver’s License issued in the United States
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.