Explosives Range Technician
Amentum is currently seeking Explosives Range Technician in Quantico, VA and Huntsville, AL.
A successful candidate will serve as the explosives RSO to ensure that safe test operations take place and that all scientists, technicians, and visitors are aware of range hazards and conduct themselves in a safe manner which is essential to the basic function of the TIEDS Center. The ERT shall serve as a support engineer and will be required to work as a member of a team employing well developed communication skills, discretion, and cooperation.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Aid energetic material characterization efforts designed to understand explosives hazards and performance properties.
- Develop and write safety plans, provide a range safety overview to new personnel and visitors, purchase and inventory test range equipment, prepare and maintain the explosives test range for experimentation, maintain the test range equipment, manage wastes, support and perform explosives production operations, support and perform explosives hazard and performance characterization.
- Support operations at the Department of Homeland Security Detection Technology (DTC), by suppling IEs and IEDs, assisting with explosives and device handling, and retrieving the devices following detection analysis.
- Demonstrate knowledge of policy and procedures related to waste generation, and waste disposal is essential.
- Test fixture design and production according to drawings and schematics, experience with oscilloscopes, piezo pins, and high-speed videography.
- Research, develop, and author whitepapers and information papers, as required.
- High School diploma.
- Three (3) years of experience working with explosives, pyrotechnics, propellants, explosive production / disposal and experience with blasting machines, initiators, firing units, and their maintenance.
- Familiarity with a variety of detonation techniques.
- Strong background in electrical engineering, welding, woodworking, and metalworking to assist with IED construction and lethality assessment.
- Knowledge of chemistry, physics, materials science, and electrical engineering.
- Be familiar with all aspects of range operation, EOD, and capability to clearly communicate with other EOD personnel as required.
- Willingness to learn about chemical processes necessary to prepare energetic materials and the techniques used to characterize energetic materials and explosive formulations.
- Competence with heavy equipment such as forklifts and tractors.
- Ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills
- The above experience should demonstrate the capability to deliver products under conditions of high operational tempo, frequently adjusting priorities and flux in requirements, on time. It should also demonstrate the ability to interface effectively with senior members of external organizations to develop and support technical positions, to justify technical recommendations, and communicate effectively in both oral and written formats.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoJ Secret security clearance.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.