Under general supervision, the HazMat/Safety Technician performs a variety of enforcement activities to include identifying, removing, transporting and disposing of hazardous materials. Also conducts daily facility inspections of the environmental health area as related to hazardous materials, to ensure compliance with hazardous materials laws, regulations and ordinances.
- Conducts work site surveys and daily facility inspections to ensure facility and procedural compliance with applicable regulations.
- Responsible for the maintenance and updating of all required reports and records applicable to the training, safety, use and storage of hazardous waste materials and programs.
- Monitors the provisioning, access and maintenance of waste storage and chemical storage areas.
- Conducts routine inspection of all waste storage areas to ensure compliance with storage requirements and regulations.
- Prepares and submits disposal turn-in documents.
- Ensures the proper marking, labeling and sealing of chemical waste containers.
- Responsible for the establishment and maintenance of all required records including a chemical waste log, inspection reports, training records chemical inventories and safety data sheets.
- Monitors workers assigned to assist in waste preparation and disposal.
- Coordinates training of personnel involved in waste disposal and handling.
- Performs duties of team chief for the H-70 (hydrazine) response team and conducts required training with the team members.
- Complies with service instructions, bulletins and Navy directives when directed.
- Maintains cleanliness of the work center and around assigned work area.
- Responsible for adhering to all applicable Foreign Object Damage (FOD) prevention rules and regulations.
- Assist the EHS Manager with the inspections of all fall protection equipment.
- Performs duties directed by the EH&S Manager that are within the scope of this position.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the EH&S Manager.
Knowledge & Skills
- Must possess and maintain working knowledge of complex and technical regulations including the customer's Hazardous Waste Management Plan, OSHA, Hazardous Material Transportation Act, EPA and other contractual requirements and other applicable base, state, federal and company
- Possess ability to communicate courteously with military and DI employees.
- Demonstrate the ability to read, understand and follow written or oral instructions.
- Be knowledgeable of and follow U.S. Navy and OSHA safety standards. Possess knowledge of materials and safety instructions.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret US Government Clearance.
Note: US Citizenship is required to obtain a Secret Clearance.
- Must be customer oriented.
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
- Ability to walk and stand on level and/or inclined surfaces for extended periods throughout the day.
- Ability to climb, bend, stoop, squat, crawl, crouch, kneel, lift, carry, balance and reach above shoulder level, push or pull weight up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Ability to use eye hand coordination and manual dexterity.
- Ability to hear at the normal range.
- Pass all required physicals such as Hazmat, respirator, etc.
- Must be qualified to wear respirators (APR and SCBA)
- Must be able to work all shifts, and/or weekend shift as required.
- As required by work and customer specifications. May require travel in support of detachments of unknown duration.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.