Air Transportation Specialist I
Supports cargo and passenger movements to and from both McMurdo and South Pole Stations, Antarctica.
- Conducts and documents daily maintenance checks on automated and manual material handling equipment, including pallet jacks, forklifts, Delta III transport vehicles, passenger vans and pick-up trucks.
- Uses material handling equipment for cargo loading and unloading operations, including wheeled forklifts with 4,000-15,000 lb. capacities and cargo sleds.
- Follows safety and security precautions for handling and storing hazardous materials, special cargo, mail, and passenger baggage.
- Palletizes cargo for shipment via cargo aircraft, ensuring cargo is secured with appropriate devices and equipment in accordance with current USAF regulations.
- Ensures proper handling and loading of hazardous cargo according to military and/or commercial transportation regulations.
- Transports cargo to and from airfields and storage areas.
- Loads and unloads cargo and passenger aircraft according to established procedures.
- Checks arriving cargo against manifest, and documents overage, shortage, or damage.
- Receives, identifies and distributes cargo to end users in an efficient manner without compromising condition of cargo.
- Conducts quality assurance checks throughout the cargo movement and pallet building process, reporting any damage to cargo or equipment immediately to a supervisor for further documentation.
- Maintains and performs required preventative maintenance and inventory of tie-down equipment, including 463L Air Force pallets, cargo straps and nets, chains and tensioners.
- Identifies, labels and prepares damaged aircraft pallets and tie-down equipment for shipment to CONUS or Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace and ensuring that safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
- Attends and/or presents daily/weekly safety meetings.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates and Licenses:
- Minimum 6 months experience in functions such as loading and unloading aircraft; operation of material handling and other types of loading equipment or devices; processing, scheduling, and maintaining records relating to passenger and cargo movement by airlift; or successful completion of one Austral Summer season in the ATS Apprentice position.
Expected Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Previous experience with remote logistics operations.
Physical and/or Other Requirements:
- Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods
- Successful completion of Medical and Dental examinations required by the NSF for deployment to Antarctica
- Successful completion of drug screening and background check required by employer
- Successful completion of Federal Background Check required by the NSF
- Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies, and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum as required by the position.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors in extreme cold as required by the position.
- Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
- Valid Driver’s License issued in the United States
- Must be able to obtain and maintain facility credentials/authorization. Note: US Citizenship is required for facility credentials/authorization at this work location.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.