Purpose and Scope:
The Welder 1 under the supervision of the appropriate Supervisor, the Welder performs journeyman-level arc, metal inert gas (MIG), tungsten inert gas (TIG), and oxygen/acetylene welding, brazing, oxygen and acetylene cutting, carbon-arc cutting/gouging, plasma-arc cutting on a wide array of military vehicles and customer-requested metal fabrications in accordance with (IAW) Air Force Instructions (AFI), technical orders, and AWS Welding Code requirements as needed. Also inspects welding qualification coupons to ensure adherence to quality standards.
- Oversees Welders performing Shop/Field Journeyman shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), gas metal arc welding (GMAW), gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW), and welding and metal fabrications; ensures the work performed is IAW applicable AFIs, technical orders, and Technical Manual and industry standards.
- Performs journeyman-level welding/cutting and metal fabrications in the shop and field support welding/fabrication/repairs as required.
- Reads blueprints, sketches, and modification orders to plan the process and layout to be performed in an expeditious, economical, and effective manner.
- Fabricates metal products per technical drawings or customer-provided samples by welding/cutting/fabricating various metals.
- Assists in coaching subordinate Welders to ensure compliance with all current Internal Operating Procedures (IOP) and quality regulations.
- Responsible for the Welding Testing/Qualification process and test plate inspections for assigned welding personnel and for ensuring the current internal welding qualification program is maintained and up to date.
- Repairs a wide array of military equipment, utilizing welding techniques and appropriate welding equipment.
- Utilizes oxygen/acetylene, carbon arc, plasma cutting equipment to dismantle assemblies and to cut material to size and shape. Performs demilitarization (DEMIL) operations as required.
- Operates/maintains electric hand/pneumatic power tools (i.e., grinders, sanders, needle guns, drills, saws, and metal shears) and shop-supported fabrication equipment.
- 1 Operates/maintains Government Furnished Equipment (GFE) (i.e., contact truck, portable welding equipment, air compressors, and forklifts).
- Observes all current Environmental, Safety and Health (ES&H) and fire regulations. Maintains a safe work area by setting up appropriate welding screens, warning devices, and proper vehicle/equipment placement.
- Prepares necessary paperwork showing labor and supplies used for job orders.
- Performs other duties and assignments as required.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
- Welding equipment of all types, including MIG, TIG, arc, and gas.
- Automotive automated and hand tools, steam-cleaning equipment, Materiel Handling Equipment (MHE), hydraulic press, iron worker, metal shear, metal bender, and drills (electrical and pneumatic).
- Military wheeled vehicles and non-tactical vehicles Automated data-processing equipment, to include computer, printer, and other general office equipment outfitted with MS Office software
Work Environment, Physical Demands, and Mental Demands:
Shop environment in which mechanical equipment is operated, is loud and noisy, and some pieces of equipment have exposed moving components, routine lifting up to 50 pounds, regular handling, grasping, kneeling and carrying, and constant use of vision and mental alertness is required.
Safety - Amentum enforces a safety culture whereby all employees have the responsibility for continuously developing and maintaining a safe work environment. As appropriate, each employee is responsible for completing all training requirements and fulfilling all self-aid/buddy aid responsibilities, participating in emergency response tasks and serving on safety committees and teams.
Quality - Quality is the foundation for the management of our business and the keystone to our goal of customer satisfaction. It is our policy to consistently provide services that meet customer expectations. Accordingly, each employee must conform to the Amentum Quality Policy and carry out job activities in compliance with applicable Amentum Quality System documents and customer contracts. Each employee must read and understand his/her Quality Management and Customer Satisfaction responsibilities.
Procedure Compliance - Each employee must read, understand and implement the general and specific operational, safety, quality and environmental requirements of all plans, procedures and policies pertaining to his/her job.
Minimum Position Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Vocational/technical training, licenses, or certificates
- A minimum of five years’ experience in weld shop operations
- A minimum of three years’ experience in welding inspection
- Operating knowledge of precision sheet metal welding, high vacuum tungsten inert gas welding, and metal inert gas welding, shielded metal arc welding, soldering, and operating knowledge of CNC equipment is required.
- Collaborative work style fostering cooperation and teamwork
- Ability to work effectively with employees and management of all levels, to include
- multinational staff and supervisors
- Ability to handle confidential company and employee information with complete
- Intermediate ability to communicate in English, both verbally and written
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret reports and documents
- The preferred candidate would have a valid work & residency permit to work in Germany, or be a national of the European Union / European Economic Area.
- This position is not approved for relocation allowances.