Director, Care Transformation - Southern California
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Clinical Performance (CP) is charged with effectively implementing, monitoring, and executing on clinical documentation, quality, and affordability programs that promote patient health while improving the provider practice experience with a special focus on Medicare Risk Adjustment and HEDIS. Clinical Performance processes on a national level by providing support in all markets served by OptumCare.
We are currently seeking a Director to join our high-energy, creative and motivated Affordability Team within Clinical Performance. Teammates serve as healthcare strategy and operations consultants, with an emphasis in population health. At Clinical Performance our mission is effective implementation, monitoring, & execution of clinical programs that improve the patient & provider experience, while delivering superior outcomes at a sustainable cost. We aim to achieve repeatable, practical, sustainable, & compliant solutions that deliver value to the OptumCare businesses. We serve as national support for our internal physician groups in achieving clinical improvement or capability-building initiatives.
By aligning our teams and goals with OptumCare, we can ensure consistent clinical performance for our patients and accelerate the shift to value-based care. Some of our current and past projects include:
- Transition of care programs
- Readmission reduction programs
- ED diversion programs
- Skilled Nursing Facility programs
- Performance benchmarking
- Clinical pathways
- Digital health strategies and solutions
- Behavioral health programs
- Palliative care
If you are located in Southern California, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges.
- Demonstrate proficiency in elements of healthcare operations and strategy, with a solid preference for expertise in mechanisms to reduce total cost of care
- Quantitatively assess gaps in care delivery and build or customize solutions that address those gaps
- Demonstrate high levels of EQ while engaging leadership and other stakeholders
- Plan and drive complex projects with an iterative process for continuous improvement
- Build management process and operational dashboards to maintain long term project success
- Manage other teammates in accordance with our team values, with an intense focus on their growth and development.
- Lead design for and perform execution of ad hoc analyses, while guiding analysts and senior analysts as necessary
- Interact with senior management by providing thoughtful analysis on key decision points to drive initiatives forward
- Drive quantifiable health outcomes while maintaining high net promoter scores from clients
ESSENTIAL BEHAVIORS, SKILLS, AND ATTITUDES REQUIRED FOR SUCCESS IN THIS POSITION:
- Commitment to our values: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance. Serve as a natural, pro-active role model of our values with patients, teammates, physicians, and/or vendors in every day performance and interactions
- Demonstrated proficiency in consultative skills when addressing complex inquiries from clients, vendors and customers
- Solid interpersonal and client service skills
- Analytical thinker with ability to perform root cause analysis, prepare and implement action plans, and lead initiatives
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to collaborate across functions and with all levels of the organization and with outside physicians and potential business partners
- Ability to recognize interdependencies of process and how changes impact overall integration efforts
- Highly developed persuasion and influence skills; able to influence without authority
- Willingness, desire, and ability to supervise with aptitude for coaching, mentoring, training, and developing teammate performance and skills to foster a positive work environment
- Demonstrated ability to create, refine and manage new business processes; demonstrated business expertise
- Ability to give and receive thoughtful feedback
- Ability to delegate appropriately
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively at both detail and big-picture levels and to drive projects forward
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability and willingness to maintain open and clear communication with teammates, clients, and vendors
- Ability to thrive in an environment of ambiguity and autonomy; flexibility and ability to manage multiple projects, deadlines and multiple priorities in a fast-paced, changing and evolving work environment
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7+ years of relevant experience (e.g. consulting, strategy, healthcare operations, medical group, health plans, program evaluation, data analytics, data science)
- 5+ years supervisory, coaching and mentoring experience
- Track-record of success with change management in a healthcare setting
- Congeniality and EQ to influence without authority - candidates must be comfortable with not owning decision-making rights, but finding ways in which to guide conversations over time to the desired outcome(s)
- Presentation skills to effectively communicate roadblocks, successes, and overall program summaries
- Coachability and flexibility to operate in a highly dynamic environment
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Master’s Degree
- Data literacy and basic proficiency with Excel
- Proven aptitude for and facility with change management and care transformation processes
LOCATION: Ontario, CA or Las Angeles, CA locations are preferred. Telecommuting may be considered for highly qualified candidates in other locations.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $113,500 to $218,100. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $113,500 to $218,100. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.