Health Care Policy Research Grad Intern
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
UnitedHealth Group’s Corporate Affairs Center for Health Care Research leverages UHG’s experience, expertise, capabilities, information, and insights to inform health care policy and advance UHG’s mission to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. The Center serves as a hub for expertise and thought leadership from across UnitedHealth Group, which is the parent company of UnitedHealthcare (health insurance and benefits) and Optum (technology-enabled health care services). Specifically, the Center:
- Assesses patterns and trends in coverage, service use, spending, and health outcomes
- Analyzes market forces, public policies, and health reform proposals and develops projections of their potential impacts
- Develops insights on pressing challenges and opportunities related to increasing access, improving quality, reducing costs, and enhancing the patient and provider experience at a system-wide level
- Partners with academic researchers and external thought leaders
This position will participate in UnitedHealth Group's full-time, 10-week summer internship program starting the first week of June 2023. Candidates may be able to begin their internship experience on a part-time basis in January 2023 based on their availability and business needs. Candidates may also be eligible to extend their internship experience throughout the 2023-24 school year based on their performance and business needs.
- Review and synthesize research literature
- Track and analyze data to identify trends and emerging issues
- Monitor and analyze proposed and adopted policy changes
- Develop and maintain expertise on key health policy and market issues, including working with third parties as appropriate
- Assist in conceptualizing scopes of work leading to publication and presentations
- Perform data analysis, interpret results, and summarize findings
- Develop written content in an effective and timely manner, including drafting sections of deliverables for publication
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Currently pursuing a Master’s Degree in Public Health, Economics, Public Policy, Business Administration, Health Data Science or related field
- Must be actively enrolled in an accredited university for the duration of the internship (at least through the end of August 2023).
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization (F-1 students with practical training and candidates requiring H-1Bs, TNs, etc. will not be considered) H1-B and green card sponsorship is not available for this position
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 2+ years of relevant work or school experience in dynamic organizations that conduct health policy analysis and research
- Experience conducting literature reviews, performing data analysis in Excel, and interpreting and summarizing results
- Experience working in SAS or Stata
- Mastery of Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Passionate about improving health care and public health
- Highly motivated with sound judgment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a high-functioning, close-knit team
- Prepared to make immediate contributions
- Superior analytic problem-solving skills, creative thinking, and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and agile
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Colorado, Nevada and Connecticut Residents Only: The salary range residents of these states is $66,100 to $118,300. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.