Senior (IP) Acute Edits Certified Medical Coder
$3,000 SIGN ON BONUS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data, and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life’s best work.SM
Delivering quality care starts with ensuring our processes and documentation standards are being met and kept at the highest level possible. This means working behind the scenes ensuring a member-centric approach to care. As a Certified Sr. (IP) Acute Edits Medical Coder you will determine and record the correct medical codes for all treatments and health services. Ensuring proper records is just one way your work will impact the health and wellness of our members on a huge scale.
Who are we? We're Optum360. We're a dynamic new partnership formed by Dignity Health and Optum to combine our unique expertise. As part of the growing family of UnitedHealth Group, we'll leverage our compassion, our talent, our resources, and experience to bring financial clarity and a full suite of revenue management services to health care providers nationwide.
As a Certified Sr. (IP) Acute Edits Medical Coder you will work remotely to correct CCI, MUE, and Medical Necessity Edits on accounts of all patient types in addition to periodic coding. You will ensure that all coding assignments are accurate according to coding policies and based on the documentation provided in the medical record. Using a thorough knowledge of coding policies and procedures as well as medical terminology and technology, you will be responsible for providing documentation feedback to physicians under the direction of the Coding Operations Manager or Quality Management personnel.
This position is full-time, Monday - Friday. Employees are required to work our normal business hours of 8:00am – 5:00pm. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime or weekends.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Identify appropriate assignment of ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Codes for inpatient services provided in a hospital setting and understand their impact on the DRG with reference to CC/MCC, while adhering to the official coding guidelines and established client coding guidelines of the assigned facility
- Identify appropriate assignment of CPT and ICD-10 Codes for outpatient surgery, observation, emergency, and ancillary services while adhering to the official coding guidelines and established client coding guidelines of the assigned facility
- Understand the Medicare Ambulatory Payment Classification (APC) codes
- Abstract additional data elements during the Chart Review process when coding, as needed
- Adhere to the ethical standards of coding as established by AAPC and/or AHIMA
- Adhere to and maintain required levels of performance in both coding quality and productivity as established by Optum360
- Provide documentation feedback to providers and query physicians when appropriate
- Maintain up-to-date Coding knowledge by reviewing materials disseminated/recommended by the QM Manager, Coding Operations Managers, and Director of Coding/Quality Management, etc.
- Participate in coding department meetings and educational events
- Review and maintain a record of charts coded, held, and/or missing
- Additional responsibilities as identified by manager
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- Professional coder certification with credentialing from AHIMA and/or AAPC (CCS, RHIA, RHIT, CIC, ROCC, CPC, COC, CPC-P) to be maintained annually
- 3+ years of recent Inpatient medical coding experience (hospital, facility, etc.)
- 2+ years of recent working experience with OCE, MUE and NCCI classification and reimbursement structures
- Experience working in a level I trauma center and/or teaching hospital with a mastery of complex procedures, major trauma ER encounters, cardiac catheterization, interventional radiology, orthopedic and neurology cases, and observation coding
- ICD-10 and DRG coding experience
- Ability to use a PC in a Windows environment, including MS Excel and EMR systems
- Experience with OSHPD reporting
- Experience with various encoder systems (eCAC,3M, EPIC)
- Intermediate level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients, and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state, and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged, and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign-on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or a related entity in a full time, part time or per diem basis ("Internal Candidates") are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada or New York City Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $21.68 to $38.56. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada / New York City residents is $23.94 to $42.40. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location, and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups, and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.