Care Coordinator (Per Diem)
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
Compassion. It’s the starting point for health care providers like you and it’s what drives us every day as we put our exceptional skills together with a real feeling of caring for others. This is a place where your impact goes beyond providing care one patient at a time. Because here, every day, you’re also providing leadership and contributing in ways that can affect millions for years to come. Ready for a new path? Learn more, and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
Optum’s Pacific West region is redefining health care with a focus on health equity, affordability, quality, and convenience. From California, to Oregon and Washington, we are focused on helping more than 2.5 million patients live healthier lives and helping the health system work better for everyone. At Optum Pacific West, we care. We care for our team members, our patients, and our communities. Join our culture of caring and make a positive and lasting impact on health care for millions.
Position in this function is responsible for providing administrative and clerical support within area of responsibility that may include telephone support, filing, typing, coordinating schedules, distributing correspondence, materials management, data entry, simple data analyses, and rudimentary reporting. All within established legal guidelines and maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate our company's commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care and concern with each and every internal and external customer
- Performs effective prospective and concurrent review of requested services according to established guidelines and timeframes
- Documents members’ service benefits by contacting the appropriate health plans as needed
- Directs providers/members to contracted provider network and facilities
- Processes appropriate authorizations for HMO/PPO clients as specified in the Optum procedures
- Prints and mails authorizations to providers, patients, HMOs and facilities as needed
- Assists and monitors in the processing of referrals. Enters, updates and closes referrals daily while assuring that appropriate internal/external referral providers are utilized, members are eligible and have benefits coverage, correct CPT/ICD-9 codes have been entered, accurate records of all dates and other required fields are entered, supporting clinical data for the referrals is entered, and all urgent referrals are processed within the designated timeframe
- Processes referrals for durable medical equipment and coordinates home health services according to established policies, procedures and guidelines
- Processes elective surgical requests including the coordination of surgery dates and notification of inpatient team, Hospitalist or Care Manager when appropriate
- Coordinates, identifies and routes referrals that require review to licensed Care Management staff who arranges outside physician medical review as appropriate
- Acts as a resource to other coordinators, staff and providers by resolving issues and responding to requests in a timely and effective manner
- Works with Patient Services regarding member concerns
- Processes referrals for inter-facility transfers using pre-established guidelines
- Processes after-hours emergency/urgent care logs/lists as needed
- Collects and prepares medical records for review when appropriate or as requested
- Assists with answering telephones and maintaining files, logs or other reports
- Uses, protects, and discloses Optum patients’ protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High school diploma, GED, or higher OR equivalent experience
- 1+ years of experience
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years of office experience in healthcare industry at the corporate level
- Intermediate level of experience with Microsoft Suite
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.