Physician Leader - Home-based Medical Care - Optum
* $20,000 Sign-on Bonus or $80,000 Student Loan Repayment Bonus for individuals who have not previously participated in this program *
This position will cover Los Angeles to Long Beach, CA
Careers at Landmark, part of the Optum and UnitedHealth Group family of businesses. At Landmark, we work to deliver high quality, comprehensive care to chronically ill patients wherever they reside and whenever they need it. We focus on doing what’s right for the people we serve, even when it’s not easy. This is your opportunity to be part of a compassionate team that is setting out to change health care for complex, chronic patients. We’re looking for driven people like you because changing the status quo takes dedication. Here, we’ll invest in your personal and professional growth while giving you a unique opportunity to make a difference. Helping people feel their best is a rewarding part of doing your life’s best work.(sm)
Do you want to make a difference in healthcare?
Landmark Health was created to transform how healthcare is delivered to the most medically vulnerable members in our community. Our medical group provides home-based medical care to chronically ill patients, many of whom are ill-equipped to navigate our overwhelming healthcare system.
Because many of our patients are frail and elderly, we deliver care primarily in the comfort of their home. Our Program is also offered to eligible patients at no incremental financial cost to them. We are not a fee-for- service practice; we benefit economically only if we deliver high-quality patient outcomes and satisfaction. As a result, our clinical teams can spend quality-time caring for a smaller number of patients, giving all patients the space, respect, compassion and care they deserve.
At Landmark, our interdisciplinary teams collaboratively manage our complex patient panels. These teams are led by Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and Physician Assistants, with supporting care provided by RN Nurse Care Managers, Social Workers, Pharmacists, Behavioral Health, and other employed team members.
Join Landmark to be part of a growing company full of purpose-driven, action-oriented, and compassionate team members working to dramatically transform healthcare for our communities
Position in this function provides medical care and management to members served by Landmark Health. Works with the Regional Medical Director, Director of Health Services, Health Plan representatives, and UM staff in the development and/or implementation of medical management policy, clinical protocols, utilization management guidelines, and quality management programs. Dedicated to improving the health and well-being of members; this position collaborates with existing PCPs if present, the Landmark multi-disciplinary team, the health plan Medical Director, and other health professionals, to develop members’ goals of care in all phases of longitudinal.
- Functions as the day to day clinical leader of the multi-disciplinary team, providing decision support to team members providing care in the home to Landmark patients
- In situations where there is no existing PCP for the patient, the Landmark Physician will assume responsibility as PCP to drive care and continuity for this patient
- In situations where there is an existing PCP for the patient, the Landmark Physician helps to co-manage the patient with the PCP and functions as their extension into the home - the PCP’s eye and ears in the home
- Assess patients’ needs in their place of residence, including:
- Caregiver support
- Environmental safety
- Provide 24/7 medical coverage for assigned and covered patients (this can be as part of a call schedule)
- Develop and update care plans and documentation of clinical encounters in the electronic medical
- record as per Landmark’s Medical Records Policies
- Provide same-day clinical assessment and treatment for pre-crisis intervention
- Participates in management meetings that include, but may not be limited to:
- Weekly case conference reviews
- Monthly staff meetings
- Schedule Joint Operating Committee meetings
- Quarterly Quality Improvement Committee meetings
- Continuing education/journal club programs
- Performs an initial comprehensive assessment on all newly enrolled members and at least annually thereafter. Develops a member management care plan upon enrollment and updates it as needed when changes in condition warrant or following hospitalization. Meets with members and/or their legal representatives to review newly developed or modified care plans; involves the PCP in these meetings
- Calls and communicates directly with patient’s PCP in real time to discuss any changes of condition and potential medication changes. Plans will be collaboratively decided on with PCP, but if unable to reach and emergent situation, NP/PA will render appropriate services and communicate changes at first available opportunity
- Completes follow-up and post-hospital assessments according to documented standard operating procedure
- Prescribes appropriate diagnostics and interventions to avoid unnecessary transfers/acute admissions
- Consults with hospital physicians following notification of member transfer
- Collaborates with UM staff and PCPs/facility staff to enable medical necessity determinations for requested medical services
- Educates members and/or their legal representatives in disease processes affecting members and ways to manage them effectively, as well as to promote wellness
- Addresses and documents advanced care planning and advanced directive wishes on initial visit and at least annually thereafter
- Implements HEDIS measure campaigns and other quality initiatives as directed by Regional Medical Director to ensure the highest standards of care and to promote the improvement of care management and delivery
- Routine caseload during business hours and scheduled on call after hours / weekends with possibility of home visits for crisis interventions
- Keeps current on relevant medical and nursing research, technology, and related issues by attending continuing education courses, professional meetings and journal reviews
- In addition to routine history and physical exam in the home, will be trained and be proficient at such modalities including, but not limited to:
- Insertion of IV
- Venipuncture for blood draw
- Wound care
- Dressing changes
- Catheter insertion and management
- Demonstrate appropriate medical judgment and appropriate use of resources with regards to care plans, diagnostic testing and referrals
- Develop solid patient-doctor and caretaker/family-doctor relationships so as to improve patient compliance with care plan
- Work with the NCM to ensure care plan is meeting the clinical and psycho-social needs of the patient
- Provide timely, evidence-based and appropriate patient care at all times
- Complete and sign all documentation (including from vendors) within required timeframes
- Maintain high levels of patient and family satisfaction
- Arrange for transfers and placements to appropriate levels of care
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Medical Doctorate or Doctorate of Osteopathy
- Current DEA
- Current, valid, non-sanctioned, non-restricted license to practice medicine in the State of California
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatrics sub-specialty, Emergency Medicine, Palliative Care or Family Practice (Board Eligible for up to one year if new grad)
- Experience in providing medical care to geriatrics patients
- Knowledge of clinical standards of care
- Familiarity with Medicare Guidelines
- Familiarity with CPT and ICD-9 codes as related to billing practices
- Access to reliable transportation
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 2+ years clinical experience, home-based care
- Awareness about UM standards, NCQA requirements, CMS guidelines, Milliman guidelines, and Medicaid/Medicare contracts and benefit systems
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
At OptumCare, we’ve found that putting clinicians at the center of care is the best way to improve lives. Our physician-led organization is one of the most dynamic and progressive health care organizations in the world, serving over 17 million people through more than 45,000 aligned physicians and 9,000 advanced practice clinicians. You will find our team working in local clinics, surgery centers and urgent care centers, within care models focused on managing risk, higher quality outcomes and driving change through collaboration and innovation. Learn more at www.workatoptum.com.
Would you thrive with OptumCare?
- Do you practice evidence-based medicine?
- Are you seeking a practice focused on patient-centered quality care, not volume?
- Are you a team player - comfortable delegating and empowering teams?
- Are you constantly seeking better ways to do things?
- Do you want to be part of something better?
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
California Residents Only: The salary range for California residents is $220,780 to $308,300. Salary Range is defined as total cash compensation at target. The actual range and pay mix of base and bonus is variable based upon experience and metric achievement. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.