Ambulatory (Pro-Fee) Physician Coding Liaison/Educator - National Remote
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
Combine two of the fastest - growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making Healthcare data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.SM
This position is full-time. Employees are required to have flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 8:00am – 5:00pm. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Assesses and interprets needs of the Ambulatory Coding Team by prioritizing work to meet deadlines.
- Identifies solutions to non-standard edits, workflows, and issues.
- Solves complex questions and conducts analysis of trends to provide education for the coding staff and clients including physicians/providers.
- Provides detailed education to the Coding Team and acts as a resource to others.
- Train and review assignments completed by new employees and provide post-hire reviews as needed.
- Apply expert coding knowledge to professional coding and billing initiatives and inquiries.
- Identify appropriate assignment of ICD-10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS II Codes for physician services, while adhering to the official coding guidelines and established client coding guidelines of the assigned facility
- Understand the Medicare Ambulatory Payment Classification (APC) codes
- Adhere to the ethical standards of coding as established by AAPC and/or AHIMA
- Adhere to and maintain required levels of performance in both coding quality and productivity as established by Optum360
- Understand federal coding register and ensure guidelines are used and followed appropriately.
- Understanding of appeal process with knowledge how to speak to denial and/or appeals.
- Provide documentation feedback to providers and query physicians when appropriate
- Maintain up-to-date Coding knowledge by reviewing materials disseminated/recommended by the Compliance, Coding Operations, etc.
- Participate in coding department meetings and educational events
- Strong knowledge of coding clinics and how to obtain education information.
- Process Rebills as appropriate.
- Other duties at the discretion of the Coding Supervisor
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 2+ years of experience providing consultation and/or education to physicians and practitioners on coding guidelines and requirements
- 2+ years of experience with Inpatient and Outpatient E/M coding
- 3+ years of physician (pro-fee) medical coding experience in a multi-specialty physician clinic
- Professional coder certification with credentialing from AHIMA and/or AAPC (CPC, CCS-P, RHIA, RHIT) to be maintained annually
- Intermediate knowledge of OCE, MUE and NCCI classification and reimbursement structures
- Expert skill experience working in a level I trauma center and/or teaching hospital with a mastery of complex procedures in one or more the following specialty areas: Cardiothoracic, Vascular and Cardiac Catheterizations, Orthopedics, Neurology, Neurosurgery, General Surgery, OB/GYN, Hospitalist, and other specialties may be applicable
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency in various EMR software (i.e., EPIC, Cerner, AllScripts, 3M, etc.)
- Experience with ICD-10, CPT, and HCPCS II
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
- Ability to work full-time between 8:00am – 5:00pm including the flexibility to work occasional overtime given the business need
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Experience auditing charts in a professional coding environment
- Experience with various Encoder systems
- Knowledge of Medicare Ambulatory Payment Classification (APC) codes
- Understanding of federal coding guidelines
- Understanding of appeals/denials process
- Knowledge of coding clinics and how to obtain educational information
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
- Exceptional communication – both written and verbal
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Military & Veterans find your next mission: We know your background and experience is different and we like that. UnitedHealth Group values the skills, experience and dedication that serving in the military demands. In fact, many of the values defined in the service mirror what the UnitedHealth Group culture holds true: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance. Whether you are looking to transition from active duty to a civilian career, or are an experienced veteran or spouse, we want to help guide your career journey. Learn more at https://uhg.hr/transitioning-military
Learn how Teresa, a Senior Quality Analyst, works with military veterans and ensures they receive the best benefits and experience possible. https://uhg.hr/vet
Careers with OptumInsight. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the Healthcare industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life’s best work.SM
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $26.15 - $46.63. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $28.85 - $51.30. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.