Nursing Assistant - Certified @Penn Presbyterian Cardiac Med/Surg Tele
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The certified nursing assistant is an integral member of the health care team who delivers quality care through collaboration and communication with team members. They work under the direct supervision of the registered nurse to support and assist the nurse in the delivery of quality care to patients and families. Some of the major responsibilities will include collection and reporting of patient data, incorporating organizational competencies of superior quality care and assuming responsibility and accountability for their role performance outcomes while supporting PPMCs Standards of Excellence. Demonstrates the Penn Medicine Behavioral Competencies in all interactions with patients, families and colleagues.
- ReprtReceives written/verbal reprt at the beginning f each shift frm the registered nurse (RN) regarding the care that is t be delivered t the assigned grup f patients, r fr patient needing cnstant bservatin.Gives reprt when leaving unit, and at the cmpletin f the shift regarding the care that was delivered; any abnrmalities that ccur during the shift are t be reprted as they ccur t the RN as well as t the ncming CAN r PCA.Assists in AssessmentIdentifies the patient per hspital plicy befre carrying ut functins.Assists with data cllectin fr nursing histry and physical e.g., vital signs, ht. wt, bld sugar results, functinal status and cmmunicates changes t the RN in a timely fashin.Participates in respectful cmmunicatin with patients, families and c wrkers.Prvides patient and family infrmatin t the registered nurse fr crdinatin f care and discharge planning.bserves skin changes and reprts disclratin, abrasins, infestatins r skin breakdwn.PlanningAssists in setting mutually agreed upn realistic individual patient gals.Integrates the RN’s directins re: the patient’s plan f care int the care given t the patient.Gives RN reprt befre the end f the shift regarding the patient’s respnse t the plan f care issues, and at varius times during the shift t reprt unusual findings e.g., abnrmal bld sugar results, vital sign changes, pain etc.InterventinPrmtes infectin cntrl by using the apprpriate hand washing techniques.Fllws standard precautins and any ther islatin precautins as dictated by the patient’s cnditin.Maintains a safe envirnment and prtects the patient frm injury by bserving the patient wh may be at risk fr falls, cnfusin, disrientatin, wandering r suicidal behavirs; fllws Cnstant bservatin Plicy.Applies and mnitrs patients in restraints per plicy and per medical rder.bserves r mnitrs behavir/health state and respnses t therapy. Temperature, Pulse, Respiratin. Bld Pressure. Height and Weight. Intake and utput. Bwel and Bladder Functin Checks. Pain.Cmmunicates pertinent bservatins t apprpriate members f the health care team in a timely fashin.Participates in multidisciplinary runds n the patient care unit.Perfrms patient care runds per unit plicy.Participates in staff and unit cuncil meetings.Wrks in cllabratin with all members f the healthcare team.Reprts findings t nurse cncerning the patient and r family which may impact patient care.Perfrms r assists the patient with activities f daily living such as bathing, (bed, tub, shwer, r sitz) grming, eating, feeding, range f mtin, ambulating, transferring and ral hygiene.Participates in the preventin and f skin breakdwn. Maintain turning and fflading.Applies current accepted methds f heat and cld therapy as directed by the nurse.Prvides fr the patient’s ral dietary needs using currently accepted methds. (special swallwing precautins).Prvides fr the eliminatin needs by giving a bed pan,urinal, emptying urinary and r bwel appliances r implementing the bwel prgram under the directin f the RN.Assists with clstmy irrigatins.Assists with vaginal irrigatins.Applies ursheath/cndm catheter.Administers cleansing enemas as rdered.Perfrms pst mrtem care.Assists the physician t perfrm physical exams.Assists with xygen therapy nly and des nt regulate the flw f xygen.Encurage the use f the pulmnary tilet by using the incentive spirmeter, cughing, turning and deep breathing.Utilizes the apprpriate equipment fr patient lifting.Reinfrces health care instructin t patients accrding t the directins f the RN.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- CPR certification from American Heart Association (AHA) is required.
- Certified Nurse Aid (Required)
- Must be a certified by the state of Pennsylvania as a certified nursing assistant or student nursing assistant- in lieu of certification, matriculated in an accredited ASN nursing program having minimally completed the nursing foundations/fundamentals clinical course with a 3.0 GPA overall and in the nursing major.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED Required.
- Other (Required)
- Graduate of a certified nursing assistant program or in lieu of certification, must be a nursing student matriculated in an accredited ASN nursing program having minimally completed the nursing foundations/fundamentals clinical course with a 3.0 GPA overall and in the nursing major and continue to maintain a 3.0 GPA in all nursing major subjects. In order for nursing students to maintain their position as a CNA, they must continue in a matriculated ASN program. Nursing Students are required to maintain active enrollment and completed all related course and grade requirements. Nursing students employed as CNAs, must immediately (within 24 hours) and in writing report to their supervisor if they have not sustained the academic GPA requirement or discontinued/withdrawn from their matriculated ASN program. Failure to meet and maintain nursing student requirements in lieu of certification will result in termination of the nursing assistant position.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.