Preregistration Specialist II
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Entity: Clinical Practices of University of Pennsylvania
Department: OB-GYN PAH Shared
Location: Penn Medicine Washington Square – 800 Walnut St
Hours: Per Departmental Needs
- The Pre-Registration Specialist II reports to the Supervisor of Financial Clearance, this individual possesses a more specialized knowledge of insurance plans and policies in regards to help resolve complex patient accounts and inquiries. The Pre-Registration Specialist II ensures all financial obligations are communicated to patients clearly, are updated on the account, and are detailed to ensure expeditious processing of patient accounts. This position reviews and works the unauthorized report to track and determine which accounts still need authorizations to be obtained. Accurately identifies primary and secondary payers. This individual will relay relevant financial information (e.g., price estimates and payment plan options) in a clear and patient-friendly manner. This position works collaboratively with scheduling, financial counseling, and registration staff members to ensure patient wait times are minimized on the day of service. This individual participates and assists with training and mentoring staff members according to the organization's training programs.
- Obtains and documents specific details related to financial clearing patients in advance of service. Financial Clearance includes demographic, insurance, referrals, authorizations/pre-certification (if necessary)
- Certifies patient demographic, insurance, and financial data collected during scheduling and pre-registration activities
- Appropriately collects and/or sets payment arrangements with patients or their representative, scheduling payments on deposits due, which may include screening of patients for enrollment in available credit option programs.
- Effectively communicates with payer to determine extent of coverage and other limitations or co-payments provisions. Maintains knowledge of and complicates with each payer’s requirements for verifying insurance and obtaining pre-authorizations/ pre-certifications
- Documents all information obtained during pre-registration activities. Identifies un-and underinsured and low-income patients; refers them to financial staff who can help with financial assistance options and other arrangements prior to patient visit
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures • Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED And 5+ years Work experience in Patient Access or Medical Billing (Required)
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.