Cell Therapy and Transplant Coordinator - Full time- Pennsylvania Hospital
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Pennsylvania Hospital is searching for a Cell Therapy and Transplant Coordinator to join their growing team ! This role is a Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
The Cell Therapy and Transplant (CTT) Coordinator provides comprehensive coordination of all services and systems to provide an organized and efficient multi-disciplinary team approach for the care of patients within the CTT Program undergoing autologous stem cell transplant and Immune effector cell (IEC) therapy. Coordinates the entry and integration of prospective CTT patients into and through the CTT process ensuring timely evaluations and collaboration among the different disciplines involved. The CTT Coordinator is accountable to ensure that all patients who are being evaluated for and undergoing cellular therapy and transplant receive care in an organized, consistent, efficient, and high quality manner. The role will help to shape the development and evolution of the CTT Program within the Abramson Cancer Center at Pennsylvania Hospital, serving to enhance its overall effectiveness, productivity, and quality. This position serves as the glue for facilitating an organized and comprehensive approach to the management of patients undergoing cellular therapy and transplant across settings of care and the trajectory of illness.
Participates in the development and implementation of clinical programs and procedures and participates in the Program's performance improvement and quality programs to promote positive outcomes. Serves as a clinical and educational consultant to the nursing staff, medical staff, management, other members of the health care team and external vendors regarding the management of CTT patients.
- In collaboration with primary team, develops timeline for transplant/IEC therapy based upon patient status, donor availability, TBI and program schedule.
- Collaborate with primary team to ensure recipient pre-transplant/IEC evaluations including testing are completed in accordance with Program SOP’s and in the appropriate timeframe to meet timeline.
- As appropriate based upon assigned population, collaborate with primary team to identify potential related donors and/or unrelated donors via National Marrow Donor Program donor registry. Communicate status of available donors to primary care team on an ongoing basis.
- As appropriate based upon assigned population, collaborate with donor team or NMDP to ensure donor eligibility/suitability evaluations are completed in accordance with Program SOP’s/NMDP policies and within appropriate timeline.
- As appropriate to assigned population, coordinate with insurer, pharmacy vendors and/or HUP pharmacy to ensure mobilization medications are available within desired timeframe.
- Communicate with the patient/donor to ensure understanding of the CTT process including: appointments, testing and procedures, consents, and additional documents as needed.
- Collaborate with the primary team, donor team, inpatient and outpatient medical care teams, and other services (apheresis, radiology, radiation therapy, stem cell laboratory, etc) to coordinate and schedule mobilization, collection, admission and infusion.
- Assess patient/donor/family physiologic, psychosocial and financial needs. Based upon assessment, make recommendations to social work, financial planning, etc.
- Educate patients, families, and donors to assist understanding of the disease, processes and procedures related to mobilization, collection and infusion of cellular therapy products.
- Collaborate with Program’s Financial Coordinators and hospital finance to ensure all required approvals are obtained for cell therapy procedure and donor search as appropriate.
- Communicate pre-transplant/infusion status of CTT recipients/donors at the weekly CTT meetings.
- Identify patients potentially eligible for clinical trials and notify research teams as appropriate.
- Participate collaboratively with QI Program to evaluate the Program for efficiency, safety and effectiveness to increase patient outcomes.
- Other duties as directed by CTT Leadership or hospital leadership
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- 2 years oncology experience (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- Nursing or biomedical discipline 3+ years Oncology or transplant Experience (Preferred)
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.