Perioperative Coordinator- OBGYN
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Location: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania- 3400 Spruce St
Department: OBGYN HUP
Hours: Day shift, M-F
- As a member of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, the primary purpose of this position is to prepare the surgical suite at the HUP RSF for the patients procedure and assist the operating room surgical team with patient care while projecting a positive image of Penn Medicine through the delivery of competent care, excellent communication and customer service to ensure an excellent experience. To provide ancillary assistance to anesthesia. Travel to off-site practices may be required.
- Coordinates perioperative assistant schedules and daily task assignments.
- Trains and supports new perioperative assistants to all duties described in their job description.
- Trains and supports registered nurses to perform OR cleaning, set-up, instrument processing, HLD (high-level disinfection) with Trophon, stocking, and preparing instruments to be sent to HUP for central processing.
- Performs weekly infection prevention audits of environmental spaces, HLD, and instrument pre-processing.
- Works directly with the Infection Control Officer to audit OR cleaning logs for accuracy and feedback.
- Oversees all instruments and sets for inventory, quality, and safety.
- Performs yearly competency for perioperative assistants and RNs on instrument processing and HLD (high-level disinfection) as a regulatory requirement.
- Represents perioperative staff and processes in interactions with internal and external surveyors.
- Assumes responsibility for reviewing and ensuring daily quality control logs of temperature, humidity, and negative pressure have been completed and are in range.
- Ensures equipment is appropriately functioning and is compliant with preventative maintenance.
- Acts as point of contact between HUP RSF and HUP Materials Management and Mayflower Linens.
- Is an active member of the HUP RSF Infection Control Committee and attends quarterly meetings.
- Provide ancillary assistance to the surgical team with IVF and gynecologic procedures.
- Assist patients, including emergency and handicapped patients.
- Maintain daily supply inventory and restock accordingly with established par levels including but not limited to the following areas: Maintain daily supply inventory of IV fluids and irrigation fluids in the warming cabinet, maintain the daily supply of blankets in a warming cabinet, restock scrub sink area, stock supplies in OR’s, clean room and soiled utility.
- Communicates when stock supplies are low.
- Set up and break down equipment needed for ORs. Provides environmental services/room turnover between cases and at the end of the day.
- Cleans/disinfects operating rooms, changing rooms, and post-op litters/recliner chairs in the recovery room between patient procedures with exposure to blood and bodily fluids, changes linen, and disposes of waste. Completes OR cleaning logs.
- Disposes of contaminated materials in accordance with infection control policy.
- Transports trash to the EVS room and soiled linens to the soiled holding room.
- Keeps OR equipment clean and ready to use. Can identify faulty equipment and follow protocol for reporting it. Ensures proper storage of equipment.
- Follows principles of aseptic and sterile techniques.
- Prepares the operating rooms for IVF and gynecologic procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to deliver proper and safe patient care under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, CRNA, and/or Physician. Assists with transferring patients to and from the surgical suite to the recovery room.
- Prepares instruments for cleaning and processing.
- Cleans contaminated instruments and prepares them for transport to HUP for sterilization.
- HS diploma/GED
- Medical Asst school from Allied Health Curriculum and 3+ years of Peri-op exp
- BLS CPR
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.