Clinical Documentation Integrity Specialist - Telecommute
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Clinical Document Integrity Specialist - (CDS) is responsible for day-to-day CDI implementation of processes related to the concurrent review of the clinical documentation in the inpatient medical record. The goal of the CDS practice is to assess the technical accuracy, specificity, and completeness of provider clinical documentation, and to ensure that the documentation explicitly identifies all clinical findings and conditions present at the time of service.
This position collaborates with providers and other healthcare team members to make improvements that result in accurate, comprehensive documentation that reflects completely, the clinical treatment, decisions, and diagnoses for the patient. The CDS utilizes clinical expertise and clinical documentation improvement practices as well as facility specific tools for best practice and compliance with the mission/philosophy, standards, goals and core values of Optum Insight JMH.
In this position the CDS will utilize the Optum 360 e-CAC that is assisting hospitals to improve data quality to accurately reflect the quality of care provided and ensure revenue integrity.
Our three-dimensional approach to CDI technology, paired with best-practice adoption methodology and change management support, is helping hospitals make a real impact on CDI efficiency and effectiveness.
- Increase in identification of cases with CDI opportunities, with automated review of 100% of records
- Improved tracking, transparency and reporting related to CDI impact, revenue capture, trending and compliance
This position does not have patient care duties, does not have direct patient interactions, and has no role relative to patient care.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Provides expert level review of inpatient clinical records within 24-48 hours of admit; identifies gaps in clinical documentation that need clarification for accurate code assignment to ensure the documentation accurately reflects the severity of the condition and acuity of care provided
- Conducts daily follow-up communication with providers regarding existing clarifications to obtain needed documentation specificity
- Provides expert level leadership for overall improvement in clinical documentation by providing proficient level review and assessment, and effectively articulating recommendations for improvement, and the rational for the recommendations
- Actively communicates with providers at all levels, to clarify information and to communicate documentation requirements for appropriate diagnoses based on severity of illness and risk of mortality
- Provides complete follow through on all requests for clarification or recommendations for improvement
- Leads the development and execution of physician education strategies resulting in improved clinical documentation
- Provides timely feedback to providers regarding clinical documentation opportunities for improvement and successes
- Ensures effective utilization of Optum® CDI 3D Technology, Optum 360 e-CAC to document all verbal, written, electronic clarification activity
- Proactively develops a reciprocal relationship with the HIM Coding Professionals
- Coordinates and conducts regular meeting with HIM Coding Professionals to reconcile DRGs, monitor retrospective query rates and discuss questions related to Coding and CDI
- Engages and consults with Physician Advisor /VPMA when needed, per the escalation process, to resolve provider issues regarding answering clarifications and participation in the clinical documentation improvement process
- Actively engages with Care Coordination and the Quality Management teams to continually evaluate and spearhead clinical documentation improvement opportunities
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 7+ years acute care hospital clinical RN experience OR Foreign Medical Graduate with CDI experience
- Experience in Clinical Documentation Improvement
- Experience communicating & working closely with Physicians
- Proficient using a PC in a Windows environment, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Electronic Medical Records
- BSN degree or equivalent
- CCDS, CDIP or CCS certification
- Optum 360 e-CAC experience
- Epic Experience
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The Hourly range for Colorado residents is $31.78 to $56.88. The Hourly range for Connecticut/Nevada residents is $35.00 to $62.45. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.