RN Clinical Mentor, Oncology Services
- 4/10 hour shifts
- Salaried-Exempt Position
The Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine is an international leader in cancer treatment, research, prevention, education and community outreach. It is the only cancer center in Missouri and within a 240-mile radius of St. Louis to hold the prestigious Comprehensive Cancer Center designation from the National Cancer Institute and membership in the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Parent institutions Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine also are nationally recognized, with U.S. News & World Report consistently ranking the hospital and medical school among the nation's elite.
Barnes-Jewish Hospital at Washington University Medical Center is the largest hospital in Missouri and is ranked as one of the nation's top hospitals by U.S. News & World Report. Barnes-Jewish Hospital's staff is composed of full-time academic faculty and community physicians of Washington University School of Medicine, supported by a house staff of residents, interns, fellows and other medical professionals. Recognizing its excellence in nursing care, Barnes-Jewish Hospital was the first adult hospital in Missouri to be certified as a Magnet Hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Serves as a resource in the Oncology Service line for new graduate nurses who are developing their clinical competencies and decision making skills. Provides guidance and assistance while giving additional support in the assessment, evaluation and intervention responsibilities with patients. Can be consulted by new graduate nurses as needed for advice and recommendations related to direct patient care issues, assistance with approaching their nursing peers or other care providers, support performing procedures or in managing unique patient and family dynamics.
- Establishes relaxed, informal, welcoming and supportive relationships conducive to dialogue and learning. Uses a variety of communication techniques including questioning, listening, observing and providing feedback to support nurse ongoing education and skill development, action planning, self-reflection, confidence building and growth. Supports nurse career development.
- Facilitates individual and team development, helps team members build skills and competencies, and builds proactive team relationships to provide optimal patient care. Provides a safe forum for ongoing nurse reflection and action.
- Supports advancement of interprofessional education and practice by optimizing team cohesion. Seeks opportunities to promote nurses, physicians and other health care professionals in their shared work together, through heightened understanding of each other’s role in providing comprehensive care.
- Enhances retention by providing new nurses with the skills, confidence, and knowledge necessary to navigate through the health system and interact successfully with colleagues.
- Provides consultation and second opinion to assist with clinical decision making, including managing patients whose condition may be deteriorating while in the ICU or who may require transfer to a higher level of care. Assists nurses with an appropriate plan of care related to a change of condition.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 2-5 years
- No Experience
Licenses & Certifications
- 5-10 years
Benefits and Legal Statement
BJC Total Rewards
At BJC we’re committed to providing you and your family with benefits and resources to help you manage your physical, emotional, social and financial well-being.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vison, life insurance, and legal services available first day of the month after hire date
- Disability insurance* paid for by BJC
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan funded by BJC
- 401(k) plan with BJC match
- Tuition Assistance available on first day
- BJC Institute for Learning and Development
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time Off benefit combines vacation, sick days, holidays and personal time
- Adoption assistance
To learn more, go to www.bjctotalrewards.com/Benefits
*Not all benefits apply to all jobs
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Equal Opportunity Employer