Clinical Nurse II Inpatient (Surgical Care Unit) - Plainsboro, NJ - Full Time (Day Shift)
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Why Join Our Team?
Penn Medicine Princeton Health (PMPH) is seeking a full time Registered Nurse (RN) to work the day shift within the Surgical Care Unit. The SCU (Surgical Care Unit) is a 36 bed medical-surgical unit with a specialized focus on patients receiving inpatient surgical interventions. A portion of the unit, the Jim Craigie Center for Joint Replacement, is a dedicated use area for total hip and knee replacement patients. Nurses on SCU will provide pre and post-operative care for patients recovering from a variety of surgical procedures (hip fractures, spinal surgery, other orthopedic surgeries, bariatrics, various abdominal surgeries, breast surgeries, urological interventions, etc.)
Nursing care on SCU includes an emphasis on patient and family education to ensure clear expectations and optimal outcomes during surgical recovery, both in the hospital and at home. Some of the clinical skills performed on a daily basis consist of: safe patient ambulation, pain management, drain care, nasogastric tube care, foley catheter care, chest tubes, central lines, wound vac and wound care, complex medication administration, blood administration and constant communication with the interdisciplinary team. Surgical Care Unit is certified as a Bariatric Center of Excellence and Joint Commission Advanced Hip and Knee Replacement Center.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- The Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague possesses the knowledge, skills and the attitude to effectively meet standards for competent professional nursing practice as specified in the Clinical Nurse 2 position description.
- The Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague exhibits PMPH organizational behavioral competencies, which reflect its mission and are embedded in the professional practice competency domains.
- The Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague independently provides patient care through the application of the nursing process and accepts accountability for the nursing care of assigned patients. Assigned patients may range in age from infancy to the elderly.
- The Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague demonstrates within the competency domains of Continuous Quality Improvement, Evidence Based Practice and Research, Leadership, Person and Family Centered Care, Professionalism, Safety, Technology/Informatics, and Teamwork (Definitions listed below).
- The Clinical Nurse 2 Colleague works closely with the interprofessional health care team to facilitate the coordination of care across the continuum. The nurse focuses on expanding the knowledge and skills necessary to provide individualized care based on physical, psychosocial, cultural, educational, safety, and age appropriate considerations of assigned patients.
Benefits You’ll Receive at PMPH/Penn Medicine:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, RX coverage plan options that best fit your personal & family needs
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts (FSA/HAS) to save pre-tax dollars
- 403b Retirement Savings: Our employer contribution begins on Day 1 of your employment
- Generous Paid Time Off benefits that give you the work-life balance today’s world needs
- Prepaid tuition assistance is available to benefit-eligible employees for approved courses of study after completing six months of employment.
What We Require for this Role:
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) required or in pursuit of
Related Work Experience
- 15 months of RN experience required
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIREMENT
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) required
- Active NJ RN license required
- National Nursing Certification preferred
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.