Clinical Nurse Operating Room
Barnes – Main Campus
, Executive Director
Shawna Burns, Patient Care Manager
Danielle Theodorou, Patient Care Manager
Erin Kelley, Assistant Nurse Manager
76 - Total Team Members
54 - Registered Nurses
15 - Surgical Technicians
02 - Unit Secretary
02 - Patient Care Technician
03 - Resource Nurses
- Ortho, Spine, Neuro, bigger ENT cases example teeth extractions
- Complex and rewarding cases that would be impossible at most hospitals
- Most surgeries are scheduled but take on urgent or emergency sometimes
- Four 10-hour shifts per week, 12-hour shifts available for experienced nurses (2 years of experience)
- Hours: 6:30a to 5:00p or 7:00p
- Call: one 12-hour weekday call shift and one weekend call shift each 6-week schedule period
- Holidays: 1 per year, in-house or on-call
- Weekends: n/a
- Graduate Nurse Eligibility: Yes
- Orientation: 6 – 7 months
- The BJC RN Career Ladder differentiates BJC as the place for nurses to work in the greater St. Louis area.
- This is a tool to empower nurses to work at the top of their license and own their career progression.
- The BJC RN Career Ladder promotes professional development, leadership, collaboration, education and service excellence and gives staff the opportunity to continue doing what they do best - caring for patients - while having the opportunity to advance to the next step in their career.
- Moves to higher ladder levels will result in a percentage increase of current pay that aligns with the new job description.
Barnes-Jewish Hospital at Washington University Medical Center is the largest hospital in Missouri and is ranked as one of the nation's top hospitals by U.S. News & World Report. Barnes-Jewish Hospital's staff is composed of full-time academic faculty and community physicians of Washington University School of Medicine, supported by a house staff of residents, interns, fellows and other medical professionals. Recognizing its excellence in nursing care, Barnes-Jewish Hospital was the first adult hospital in Missouri to be certified as a Magnet Hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
At Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Perioperative Services team members (RN and ST) find the kind of fast-paced environment that will test their professional judgment and critical thinking skills, and encourage tremendous growth. It's an exhilarating place to build a career. Here, you'll work with world-renowned surgeons and anesthesiologists, assist on unique and complex procedures, work with the latest technologies and treatments and play a vital role in developing new procedures and treatment protocols. In fact, people from all over the nation and the world come to Barnes-Jewish for our surgical specialties. This team has the opportunity to work with surgeons deploying the latest technologies (intra-operative MRI, laser surgery, monteris auto litt).
Provides direct patient care activities including assessment, diagnosis, planning implementation, and evaluation within the guidelines of the standards of nursing care.
ResponsibilitiesPromotes patient and family centered care in a healing environment. Educates patients and their families on how to manage their illness or injury, including post treatment home care needs and medication administration.Uses critical nursing skills to assess and evaluate patient's physical, psychosocial and emotional needs.Develops and implements individual plans of care in collaboration with other members of the healthcare team in accordance with the established guidelines and standards of nursing care.Evaluates patient's response and modifies plan of care accordingly throughout the patient's stay.Participates in activities that promote patient safety, quality and regulatory compliance. Participates in professional development.
EducationNursing Diploma/Associate's - Nursing
Supervisor ExperienceNo Experience
Licenses & CertificationsRN
EducationBachelor's Degree - Nursing
Benefits and Legal Statement
BJC Total Rewards
At BJC we’re committed to providing you and your family with benefits and resources to help you manage your physical, emotional, social and financial well-being.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vison, life insurance, and legal services available first day of the month after hire date
- Disability insurance* paid for by BJC
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan funded by BJC
- 401(k) plan with BJC match
- Tuition Assistance available on first day
- BJC Institute for Learning and Development
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time Off benefit combines vacation, sick days, holidays and personal time
- Adoption assistance
To learn more, go to www.bjctotalrewards.com/Benefits
*Not all benefits apply to all jobs
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Equal Opportunity Employer