Physician Assistant Surgical
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- In collaboration with the supervising physician, the Surgical Physician Assistant will provide surgical and medical care to surgical patients. The Physician Assistant will provide direct health care management to patients and will assist the surgeon during surgical procedures, performing those skills of a first assistant.
- Perform and record complete history and physical examIdentifies self properly to patient and family, clarifies role of physician assistant if necessary.States purpose of history and physical for accurate hospital records.Obtains accurate medical history including chief complaint, history or present illness, past medical/history, family history, social history and complete review of systems.Evaluates the patient’s history and physical per core measure compliance.Physical assessment focusing on vital signs, HEENT, cardiac, pulmonary, GI, GU, neurological and extremities.Address patient’s concerns including providing comfort and support for pre-operative patients by demonstrating sensitivity to patient care and privacy.Answers patient’s questions regarding pre-operative care, understanding of surgical procedures and regarding post-operative care.Uses knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of patient.Timely dictation of the history and physical examination performed in the pre-admission testing area to insure its availability the day of surgery.First assistant in surgery with evening and weekend on-call responsibilities.Maintains aseptic techniques and actively monitors situations which could lead to breaks in aseptic technique.Be prompt to support on-time starts.Ensures safety checklist, core measure compliance and time-out and universal protocol procedures are followedPosition patients according to type of surgery and skin prep as needed.Using aseptic technique when performing bladder catheterizations for all patients.Scrubs and assists surgeons on all cases when requested.May close incisions at the discretion of or in absence of surgeon and applies appropriate dressings.Transports and monitors patient from operating room to recovery room or critical care unitPostoperatively, removal of staples sutures and drains when requested by attending surgeon.
- National Commission for Certification of Physician Assistant (Required)
- Physician Assistant (Required)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- Education Specialization:
- Other (Required)
- Education Specialization: Graduate AMA and ARC-PA approved Physician Assistant or Surgeons Program
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.