Associate Director of Health Information Management
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
- Manages all activities and functions of HIM
- Coordination of staff activities and workflow in the areas of Documentation Management, Release of Information, Systems and MPI Integrity
- Responsible for hiring, orientation, training and in-service regarding hospital organization, mission, management, policies, and procedures. Oversees compliance with all Optum initiatives. Reviews and maintains productivity and accuracy reports
- Assist with the development and approval of health information standard operations procedures, and guidelines for all HIM related functions
- Coordinates the receipt, scanning, and quality control of records post-discharge. Oversees release of information for medical care, patient requests, legal, and regulatory demands. Ensures compliance with HIPAA privacy and security regulations
- Works with the Epic team to lead the workflow analysis, design, configuration, evaluation, testing, implementation, training, end-user support, and maintenance of HIM systems. Collaborates with technology team members to ensure proper equipment is available and makes recommendations when necessary. Ensures EHR-compatible equipment is functional and fully integrated
- Manages all activities related to the evaluation and maintenance of legal medical record and MPI integrity. Collaborates with departments throughout the institution to ensure data quality and reliability in terms of legal medical record content and MPI accuracy
- Communicates HIM operation and activities to the HIM Director and other organization leaders; keeping them updated on pertinent information
- Prepares monthly department meeting agenda and minutes ensuring communication to all team members
- Maintains technical and administrative knowledge by self-motivated attendance in organizational education sessions, conferences, and workshops
- Represents the HIM Department at multi-disciplinary hospital committees. Leads generation and consolidation of monthly statistics and other program data. Coordinates the agenda for Health Information Data Integrity Committee, and dissemination of reports and meeting minutes to appropriate medical staff committees for further action
- Evaluates referred comments and complaints from patients, visitors, and other matters which may be a risk issue and bring to the attention of leadership
- Works with HIM vendors to negotiate contracts, establish budgets, and maintains contracted services at the appropriate levels
- Oversees operational aspects of HIM department, including but not limited to Emergency Operations, supplies, physical plant design and maintenance
- Intervenes, investigates, and resolves issues and complaints related to patient requests for information, and any delays involving time-sensitive regulatory requests (i.e., DOH, OCR) Keeps abreast and monitor changes in federal and state legislation relative to release of information and record management
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Excellent communication (both oral and written), interpersonal, organization, leadership, project management skills
- Policy and report development/management. Health Information Systems administration. Staff training/Education
- This role is onsite in Secaucus, NJ
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health Information Management or Related Field OR 5+ years of relevant managerial experience
- Professional Certifications / Registration Required: Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- 3+ years of experience with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications required
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Master's Degree
- Experience with EPIC HIM Workflows (Identity Manager, Release of Information, Faxing Error Resolution, etc.)
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on an elite team. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.