Vice President, Public Sector Sales and Business Development - Remote
Optum is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
This is a highly visible, executive-level position responsible for the development and execution of sales strategies that will drive ORX revenue expansion in the public sector market (e.g., Medicaid FFS, State Employer, EGWP, Mid-Market, Tri-Care, Federal Employees, etc.) Primary responsibilities will include assessing market dynamics and developing a market entry strategy based upon product capabilities, competitive positioning and market attractiveness. Executive will need to forge durable strategic partnerships with internal constituencies (e.g. Optum Insight, Optum Health) as well as develop a plan for direct market entry.
Executive will be responsible for shaping the value-proposition, establishing and managing a budget and building the sales team required to support market penetration. Executive will also be required to coordinate and work with internal resources (e.g., finance, product, legal, etc.) to establish required infrastructure for competitiveness in the public sector market (i.e, contract requirements, pricing and margin requirements, product requirements, etc.).
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely * from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
This position will report to the President, Public Sector Market Segment and lead a team of sales leaders. Key responsibilities will include:
- Deep knowledge of public sector purchasing behavior and needs
- Active engagement, oversight and strategy development of key public sector prospects and opportunities
- Establish field sales objectives and develop regional competitive strategies for the execution of public sector lobbying and communication programs
- Develop annual sales plans and budgets, assign territories, monitor productivity
- Provide for the analysis and reporting of sales activity and market trends, including sales plan execution, competitive activity and new product requirements
- Establish effective channel management strategy with Business partners
- Facilitate and supervise the creation of sales strategies to deliver new services in the public sector market
- Train and evaluate public sector staff in sales and management skills through career development programs
- Collaborate with the public sector product leadership in the development of and enhancement of current programs
- Provide effective leadership to enhance the coordination of all functions, i.e., sales, product development, marketing and business development, and account management
- Effective supervision, direction and evaluation of all staff
- Participate actively with other senior staff to keep current with all internal business developments. Contribute to the formulation of the organization's strategic direction, based on market demands and opportunities
- Ensure that all activities and operations are performed in compliance with local, state and federal regulations
- Consistently meet or exceed revenue growth goals for the assigned UnitedHealth Group accounts
- Demonstrate consistent activity disciplines to maximize new business development and assure perpetual pipeline growth
- Maintain a robust, qualified new business pipeline
- Demonstrate solid leadership qualities and organizational skills in directing the efforts of the sales or project team throughout the sales cycle
- Display exceptional strategic selling skills including discovery, ROI development and presentation, sales cycle maintenance, tactical planning and closing
- Clearly demonstrate problem-solving capacity and the ability to be timely and responsive
- Be a positive force and a team leader
- Ensure accurate and timely entry of sales opportunity information using our SFGOtools
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience
- 10+ years of extensive, responsible marketing and field sales and sales management experience within the healthcare industry
- 5+ years in a senior management capacity
- Deep familiarity and experience with Medicaid and/or Medicare health services purchasing requirements
- Familiarity with aspects of healthcare sales and marketing along with a solid understanding of the impact of sales activities on operational functions and profitability
- Advanced consultative selling skills with the ability to successfully construct solutions for complex organizations
- Sound administrative capabilities and a demonstrated ability to recruit, develop and motivate key personnel
- Well-developed planning capabilities and a track record in controlling costs, setting budgets and meeting deadlines
- Creative approach to problem solving and program development
- Excellent presentation skills with the expertise and sophistication needed to credibly represent the Company in the context of the company’s values and quality commitments
- Sound business judgment with a track record of effective management and leadership
- High energy level, superior communication skills and the charismatic personality needed to gain the respect and confidence of subordinates and key customer contacts
- With a nationally distributed market and sales force, frequent business travel will be required
- Solid sales leadership skills and the demonstrated ability to grow a healthcare business
- Solid people skills with direct experience in successfully managing programs within complex organizations
- Ability to analyze complex sales programs and develop creative solutions to a wide variety of unique market problems
- Ability and enthusiasm to master the technical sales aspect of service capabilities offered to a customer
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Advanced degree
- Direct experience with a healthcare services company serving the public sector market
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with OptumRx. We're one of the largest and most innovative pharmacy benefits managers in the US, serving more than 12 million people nationwide. Here you’ll fill far more than prescriptions. As a member of one of our pharmacy teams, you’re empowered to be your best and do whatever it takes to help each customer. You'll find unrivaled support and training as well as a wealth of growth and development opportunities driven by your performance and limited only by your imagination. Join us. There's no better place to help people live healthier lives while doing your life's best work.(sm)
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.