Sourcing and Procurement Internship - San Antonio, TX
Internships at UnitedHealth Group. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. UnitedHealth Group internship opportunities will provide a hands-on view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products and services. You’ll work side by side with some of the smartest people in the business on assignments that matter. So here we are. You have a lot to learn. We have a lot to do. It’s the perfect storm. And even better? Join us and you may end up staying for a career in which you can do your life’s best work.(sm)
Internship allows you to develop and practice skills related to purchasing goods and services for the WellMed (UHG) enterprise. You will learn parts of the process supporting purchasing activities, and apply analytical skills to enhance the process. Interns will be exposed to and work projects related to sourcing, analyzing and negotiating good and services. WellMed Sourcing & Procurement acts as a liaison between WellMed businesses and suppliers to satisfy needs and maximize value of the purchase. Internship will develop skills by working on projects to support the team that provides exceptional consultation to all WellMed businesses for all Supply Chain activities. Projects will include some aspects of the following: data analysis, analytical tool development, process assessment and improvement, standardization, market analysis, current supplier performance and industry best practices.
- Learn operations and work on improvement opportunities associated with sourcing and purchasing process including proprietary ordering system, fundamentals of the purchase to pay process and supplier risk and performance review
- Facilitate and drive cost reduction and value maximization opportunities for WellMed businesses by vendor consolidation, value analysis, assessment of current spend and performance of suppliers
- Analyze and validate savings associated with supplier negotiations
- As opportunities are worked, recommend solutions based upon data analysis to increase business efficiency and/or improve business processes
- Perform other duties as assigned by members of management
- Open to college students interested in this field
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in business, purchasing, operations or related field from an accredited college / university during the duration of the internship. Internships are not intended for graduating seniors
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization (F-1 students with practical training and candidates requiring H-1Bs, TNs, etc. will not be considered)
- Expert in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Junior with expected graduation of Spring 2022
- 3.00 cumulative GPA or Higher
- Prior work or internship experience in business or analysis
- Experience managing multiple priorities
- Critical thinking experience
- Experience identifying barriers to success and business trends
- Experience in areas related to data analysis, purchasing, contracts, accounting, budgeting, or healthcare
- Experience managing multiple projects / priorities, workload prioritization
- Experience interacting and fostering open dialogue with colleagues, internal departments, and supply base
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills
Internships at Optum. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, is a leading health services and innovation company dedicated to helping make the health system work better for everyone. With more than 94,000 people collaborating worldwide, Optum combines people, technology, data and action to improve the delivery, quality and efficiency of health care. Our internship opportunities provide a view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products and services. Here, you’ll work with some of the smartest people in the business on assignments that matter. Join us and you may end up staying for a career in which you can do your life’s best work.(sm)
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.