SVP and CHRO UPHS
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Reporting to the Executive Vice President/Chief Financial Officer of the University of Pennsylvania Health System, the CHRO attracts, develops, engages, and retains top talent. The CHRO sets the tone for the employee experience, advises the senior leadership team, and leverages the human capital that supports organizational advancement. The CHRO joins the senior leadership team to forward health system goals.
The individual will be an informed decision maker who capitalizes on opportunities to promote the organization’s mission, vision, and values actively.
The CHRO will work with operational leaders to forecast future workforce requirements, advance organizational leadership and development, and maintain Penn Medicine’s core values in a rapidly changing healthcare environment, while also being a driving force for operational efficiency and service excellence.
The CHRO will wear multiple hats. The person will be an advocate for employees at the senior leadership table, the voice of the organization when interfacing with employees, a strong strategic business and tactical partner to the senior leadership team, an executive leader for the human resources team, an effective ambassador for Penn Medicine in creating the brand as the employer of choice, and an advisor and confidential sounding board to executives in the organization. The CHRO also plays an integral role in driving the organization’s commitment to strengthening its position as a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization. The CHRO promotes a culture of inclusion, teamwork and cohesion, accountability, and high performance within the human resources organization.
· Develops an overall human resources strategy for Penn Medicine that advances the organization’s strategic plan
· Provides leadership to the human resources team in talent acquisition, human resources operations, total rewards, employee and labor relations, employee engagement and retention, and talent and organizational development efforts
· Promotes alignment and consistency of compensation, benefits, and retirement plans
· Serves as a collaborator to the entities, local CHRO’s, and senior leadership team
· Manages the Human Resources budget, including employee benefit programs, ensuring appropriate allocation of resources and fiscal responsibility
· Partners with finance in analyzing department performance, developing short- and long-range financial projections, and creating operating plans and budgets to meet financial and other performance targets
· Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local employment laws and regulatory standards of the Department of Labor, Affirmative Action, OSHA, JCAHO, and others
· Develops goals for the human resources function and directs their execution, ensuring that team members have the necessary resources to meet them; reviews HR performance in relation to established goals to ensure continual improvement in HR service delivery
· Partners with hospital and ambulatory facility leaders and local HR teams to ensure alignment and integration of the human resource functions
· Works collaboratively with key stakeholders at the Perelman School of Medicine and the University of Pennsylvania’s human resources department on human capital approaches
Credentials: SPHR or SHRM Certifications preferred
Education or Equivalent Experience: Bachelor's Degree Required, Advanced Degree preferred
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.