Senior Scientist Epidemiology Telecommute
We’re changing the way health care works for the better. That means consulting with our members, partnering with our physicians, and delivering drugs in the most efficient and effective way. Join us and start doing your life’s best work. (sm)
Optum Epidemiology provides research and consulting services for clients responding to regulatory authority requests as part of product launch and post-marketing commitment activities. We are at the forefront of epidemiologic methodology and practice, bringing scientific rigor and integrity to protocol design, data analytics, and research reporting. We have expertise analyzing a wide array of real-world data sources, including health insurance claims, electronic and paper medical records, patient and provider surveys, and death record databases. Our multidisciplinary team includes epidemiologists and research analysts, supported by experienced project managers and research associates. The senior scientist has the primary responsibility for the scientific direction and day-to-day oversight of research projects.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Provide day-to-day scientific direction and guide project execution in collaboration with the project team
- Oversee the preparation of study protocols, analytic plans, reports, manuscripts, and other client deliverables
- Review deliverables/reports prepared by epidemiologists prior to submission to clients
- Direct client contact, including presentation of study results
- Present study results at scientific conferences
- Direct or participate in business development
- Direct proposal writing efforts
- Serve as a mentor to epidemiologists
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Advanced degree (PhD or MD)
- 10+ years of related research experience
- 5+ years of study design, research methodology, and statistical analysis
- 5+ years of experience meeting timelines and ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Knowledge of study design, research methodology, and statistical analysis
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance
- PhD in Epidemiology, or related field
- 5+ years with direct client contact
- 5+ years of experience working with and analyzing large administrative healthcare databases, such as administrative claims data and/or electronic health records
- 5+ years of experience applying advanced pharmacoepidemiologic methods, such as propensity score-based approaches
- 3+ year of experience with SAS or similar statistical software
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as leader of a team
- Solid work ethic and demonstrated organizational and problem-solving skills
- Proven track record in meeting timelines and ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility with changes in responsibilities and duties
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.