Referral Coordinator Medical Assistant at Optum Primary Care Sand Lake
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Care Coordinator / Medical Assistant is responsible to the Center Administrator and provides a combination of back office, as well as front office support functions.
This role is primarily responsible for medical management data entry and referral functions. As a secondary function, this role may also be called upon to assist with routine patient care within his/her level of training and functions under the direction/guidance of the clinical supervisor and the physician.
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate commitment to superior customer service, including quality and care and concern with each and every internal and external customer.
- Under direction and supervision of physician, administers medications, administers immunizations, EKGs, ear washes, and other patient services. Assists in simple office and minor surgical procedures. Assists with the education of the patient and/or family as directed by the physician.
- Performs venipuncture under the direction of a physician or advance care practitioner.
- Contacts patients as needed to give testing results instructions from the physician and scheduling of necessary visits. Answers telephone inquiries and triage calls.
- Responsible for all laboratory duties including drawing, spinning, prepping blood for testing and maintaining appropriate logs. Acts as liaison between all independent lab services and the center.
- Uses, protects, and discloses patients’ protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Responsible for total coordination and processing of all patient referrals for specialty services
- Completes all administrative functions associated with referral activities in a timely manner.
- Enters all referral, hospital, outpatient, DME and other patient specialty health service authorizations into the computer system according to Company policy and procedure.
- Receives consultant reports, maintains documentation, and routes to the appropriate physician promptly. Coordinates pre-admission testing requirements with clinic personnel and patient.
- Responsible for monitoring all referral reports not received and timely follow-up in accordance with Company policy and procedure.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in
- High school graduate, GED or equivalent
- Graduation from an accredited Medical Assistant program with a MA school diploma, or relevant and assisting equivalent medical experience
- Current Basic Life Support for Healthcare providers (AHA) or CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (American Red Cross) or the ability to attain within 90 days of employment
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 2+ years of relevant back office, medical assisting experience for those without an accredited Medical Assistant diploma or RMA or CMA designation; CMA or RMA will be considered in lieu of experience
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) or Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
- Strong Phlebotomy Skills
- Previous medical office experience with referral processing for HMO Plans
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.