Practice Coding Specialist II
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Job Title: Practice Coding Specialist II
Department: Surg Outpt Chair Billing
Location: Centre Square West Tower- 1500 Market Street
Hours: Full time regular remote
CCS or CPC Required
This position reports to the Supervisor of Billing and is responsible for converting diagnoses and procedures- specifically for professional or clinic services into appropriate codes using ICD-10 as well as completing day-to-day administrative tasks. The main focus of the Practice Coding Specialist II is to oversee coding processes and serve as a resource to other practice coders, helping to foster staff development, satisfaction, and achievement. This role will also act as a liaison between coding personnel and other staff groups- from clinicians to staff responsible for authorizations, billing, and denial management, as well as executive leadership.
- Accurately applies ICD-10, HCPCS/CPT, and APC codes for both routine and complex procedures as well as maintains or exceeds the standard level of quality and productivity
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge and provides guidance on requirements
- Conducts both regular and ad-hoc coding reviews on professional services in order to identify common errors, potential areas in need of improvement or education, as well as procedural or communication breakdowns.
- May also review secured authorizations and pre-billed claims as needed to ensure they adequately reflect the procedures preformed
- Provides educations sessions or events as well as acts as a mentor to newly hired coders and addresses posed questions or concerns from coders, clinicians, or other related departments
- Reviews and interprets patient medical record documentation to identify pertinent diagnoses and procedures and assigns ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-CM and CPT 4 codes accurately and timely to the highest level of specificity based upon physician documentation for ambulatory surgery, special procedure, observation, emergency department, outpatient ancillary and clinic visit records
- CCS or CPC (Required)
- RHIA or RHIT (preferred)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 3-5 years coding experience including outpatient or specialty coding (Required)
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.