Practice Coding Specialist I
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Job Title: Practice Coding Specialist I
Department: Surgical Outpatient Chair Billing
Location: Centre Square West Tower - 1500 Market Street
Hours: Fully remote, flexible hours between 7:30am - 5pm
- This position reports to the Supervisor of Billing, and is responsible for reviewing documentation and assigning the appropriate diagnoses and procedures- specifically for professional or clinic services into appropriate codes using ICD-10 as well as completing day-to-day administrative tasks. Through efficient and accurate coding, the Practice Coding Specialist I will help ensure claims are properly coded and reimbursed for professional and facility services.
- Reviews and interprets patient medical record documentation to identify pertinent diagnoses and procedures and assigns ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-CM and CPT 4 codes accurately and timely to the highest level of specificity based upon physician documentation for ambulatory surgery, special procedure, observation, emergency department, outpatient ancillary and clinic visit records.
- Accurately applies ICD-10, HCPCS/CPT, and APC codes for both routine and complex procedures as well as maintains or exceeds the standard level of quality and productivity.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge and provides guidance on requirements.
- May also review secured authorizations and pre-billed claims as needed to ensure they adequately reflect the procedures preformed.
- Participates in initiatives and activities related to date integrity or billing processes associated with the hospital and clinic.
- CCS or CPC (Required)
- RHIA or RHIT
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- And 1+ years 1-3 years Coding experience including outpatient or specialty coding Education Specialization:
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.