Senior Customer Service Representative - Remote in New England
If you are located within the states of New England: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, OR Vermont, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* (work from home) as you take on some tough challenges.
Great jobs start with great training and our next class is starting soon. Apply today.
This is your chance to take your customer service career to the next level. At Optum, we’re changing the way health care works for the better and we want motivated people like you to join us. You'll find unrivaled support and training as well as a wealth of growth and development opportunities driven by your performance and limited only by your imagination. Join us. There's no better place to help people live healthier lives while doing your life’s best work.SM
As a Senior Customer Service Representative, you'll compassionately deliver an exceptional experience to between 50 to 70 callers per day, always remembering that there is a real person on the other end of the phone who is looking for help, guidance, and support. You'll also provide support to your team members by serving as a resource or subject matter expert. Both of these are opportunities for you to identify and exceed our customer expectations by committing to and building strong relationships internally and externally. At the end, you’ll know you performed with integrity and delivered the best customer service experience making all your customers and team members feel better because they talked to you.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week) Monday - Friday. Employees are required to have flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 8:00am - 4:00pm OR 8:30am - 4:30pm EST. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime. Our office is located at 3 Farm Glen Blvd, Farmington, CT. (Team will have 2 meetings a year)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Serve as a resource or Subject Matter Expert (SME) for other team members or internal customers
- Handle escalated calls, resolving more complex customer issues in a one and done manner
- Answer incoming phone calls from customers and identify the type of assistance the customer needs (i.e. benefit and eligibility, billing and payments, authorizations for treatment and explanation of benefits (EOBs)
- Ask appropriate questions and listen actively to identify specific questions or issues while documenting required information in computer systems
- Intervene with care providers (doctor’s offices) on behalf of the customer to assist with appointment scheduling or connections with internal specialists for assistance when needed
- Assist customers in navigating UnitedHealth Group websites and encourage and reassure them to become self-sufficient
- Own problem through to resolution on behalf of the customer in real time or through comprehensive and timely follow-up with the member
- Research complex issues across multiple databases and work with support resources to resolve customer issues and/or partner with others to resolve escalated issues
- Provide education and status on previously submitted pre-authorizations or pre-determination requests
- Meet the performance goals established for the position in the areas of: efficiency, call quality, provider satisfaction, first call resolution and attendance
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher) OR 10+ years of equivalent working experience
- 1+ years Customer Service Representative (CSR) experience or 1+ years of experience in an office setting, call center setting or phone support role
- Familiarity with computer and Windows PC applications, which includes the ability to learn new and complex computer system applications
- All new hires will be required to successful complete the Customer Service training classes and demonstrate proficiency of the material
- Ability to work Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00am - 4:00pm OR 8:30am - 4:30pm EST
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Reside within the states of New England: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, OR Vermont
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
- Ability to multi-task duties as well as the ability to understand multiple products and multiple levels of benefits within each product
- Ability to work regularly scheduled shifts within our hours of operation including the training period, where lunches and breaks are scheduled, with the flexibility to adjust daily schedule, and work over-time and/or weekends, as needed
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Military & Veterans find your next mission: We know your background and experience is different and we like that. UnitedHealth Group values the skills, experience and dedication that serving in the military demands. In fact, many of the values defined in the service mirror what the UnitedHealth Group culture holds true: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance. Whether you are looking to transition from active duty to a civilian career, or are an experienced veteran or spouse, we want to help guide your career journey. Learn more at https://uhg.hr/transitioning-military
Learn how Teresa, a Senior Quality Analyst, works with military veterans and ensures they receive the best benefits and experience possible. https://uhg.hr/vet
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
Connecticut Residents Only: The salary range for Connecticut residents is $16.83 - $29.66. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.