Pre-Service Representative - Brewer, ME
Opportunities at Northern Light Health, in strategic partnership with Optum. Whether you are looking for a role in a clinical setting or supporting those who provide care, we have opportunities for you to make a difference in the lives of those we serve. As a statewide healthcare system in Maine, we work to personalize and streamline healthcare for our communities. If the place for you is at a large medical center, a rural community practice or home care, you will find it here. Join our compassionate culture, enjoy meaningful benefits and discover the meaning behind: Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
Often serving as the first point of contact for patients in preparation of upcoming appointments, this position requires excellent customer service and attention to detail. The Pre-Registration Representative is responsible for the accurate and efficient pre-registration of patients by updating patient demographic and insurance information, in advance of the date of service.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week). Employees are required to have flexibility to work any of our 8-hour shift schedules during our normal business hours of 8:30am - 5:30pm. . Additional information will be provided during the interview process. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime. Our office is located at 43 Whiting Hill Road Brewer, ME 04412
- Ensures excellent customer service when assisting patients, providers, and other departments over the phone or in person
- Collects and verifies patient demographic and insurance information, making changes as necessary to ensure accuracy within each encounter.
- Engages other departments to assist with patient questions or needs
- Facilitates conversations with patients to provide benefit information and collects copays or other patient liabilities due, prior to service
- Remains aware of department service level, abandonment rates and other measurable data and individual contributions to the overall metrics
- Meets/exceeds department defined productivity and audit goals and upholds all department policies and procedures
- Escalates outstanding needs to department leadership to ensure pre-registration and financial clearance functions occur prior to service date, expediting patient service and assisting with smooth and on time starts
- Verifies insurance coverage and benefits, updating the encounter appropriately
- May perform other duties upon request
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 6+ months experience in an office setting, customer service setting (over the phone or face to face) or phone support role or call center environment
- Familiarity with computer and Windows PC applications, which includes the ability to learn new and complex computer system applications
- Reside within a commutable distance to 43 Whiting Hill Road Brewer, ME 04412
- Full COVID-19 and Flu vaccination are an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- 1+ years of Registration experience in a hospital or medical setting
- Understanding of medical terminology
- Working knowledge of insurance policies and procedures and patient care settings
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.