Associate General Counsel - Data Governance, Technology and Digital Health - Telecommute
UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
As part of the Data Governance, Technology and Digital Health legal team at Optum, this attorney will serve as key member of the team specifically in support of Optum Technology innovation projects and data licensing matters. Reporting to the Senior Associate General Counsel, Optum Technology- Innovation, the successful candidate will work in a team-oriented, results-driven practice group that focuses on issues at the intersection of law, technology, and healthcare.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Serve as a key member of the legal team supporting digital/innovation projects within the Optum Technology organization and data licensing matters across Optum
- Provide legal advice and support including research regarding emerging regulation for AI/ML product development working in close collaboration with colleagues across the enterprise
- Work hand in hand with a wide range of internal stakeholders, including established governance groups, to create new policies and processes to support compliance with emerging regulations impacting the data governance, technology and digital health space
- Partner with internal businesses and experts, and actively participate in internal and industry groups and forums to keep abreast of technology, business, and legal developments
- Negotiate data licensing and use agreements, including with universities and academic medical centers
- Serve as a subject matter expert for accessibility-related issues, working with the Accessibility Center of Excellence and other business and legal stakeholders to support the accessibility of digital properties in accordance with applicable laws and industry standards
- Provide legal advice and guidance on the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) in support of Optum texting and telephone campaigns and outreach
- Collaborate closely with colleagues across UnitedHealth Group, including with Optum and UnitedHealthcare
- Provide training and support on legal issues and developments
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Juris Doctorate degree
- 5+ years of relevant legal experience, preferably including the negotiation and drafting of technology contracts
- Ability to manage, handle and prioritize multiple projects
- Ability to effectively advocate/problem-solve as necessary to obtain desired outcomes and meet regulatory requirements
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting with other attorneys and business staff of multiple levels; ability to work in a matrixed environment
- Demonstrated well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated poise and confidence necessary to deal with senior lawyers and business leaders
- Ability to identify issues and offer proactive, timely advice and follow through to resolution
- Demonstrated excellent presentation creation and delivery skills, including experience with PowerPoint, Excel, and other standard tools
- Current admission to a U.S. state bar
- Direct experience with privacy and data licensing matters and supporting AI/ML or data driven technology initiatives
- Law firm and in-house experience within the healthcare and/or technology industries
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So, when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado/Connecticut/Nevada residents is $113,500 to $218,100. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.