Associate General Counsel - Fort Worth, TX
At UnitedHealthcare, we’re simplifying the health care experience, creating healthier communities and removing barriers to quality care. The work you do here impacts the lives of millions of people for the better. Come build the health care system of tomorrow, making it more responsive, affordable and equitable. Ready to make a difference? Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
UnitedHealthcare’s Employer & Individual (“E&I”) Legal team supports an array of diverse businesses primarily serving the commercial group and individual markets. E&I Legal seeks an outstanding and experienced Associate General Counsel to serve a high-performing, growth-oriented sales and marketing team driving innovative product and consumer-acquisition strategies, including supporting national sales by agents and brokers, as well as an increasing focus on high-technology, digital marketing enabled by advanced analytics and working within an evolving regulatory landscape and highly regulated environment. The impact of the candidate’s work will be at a national level and will include responsibility for sales/marketing/lead generation legal guidance for the individual commercial business, as well as evaluation of various regulatory changes impacting the business. The role enables development of innovative strategies and projects to achieve key sales and growth objectives and communicating with senior management on complex and diverse business issues that directly impact business performance. The role supports UHG’s commitment to the development of a next-generation health system in a socially conscious manner and the implementation of actionable, practical, and timely policy and market solutions that can achieve universal coverage, affordability, better experiences for patients and physicians, and improved health outcomes.
The successful candidate will possess the highest level of analytic, strategic thinking, project management, organizational, and communication skills (both oral and written); deep and broad knowledge of healthcare data, policy, and markets; passion for health care transformation; and excellent judgment. The successful candidate will play a key role supporting insurance advertising legal review of carrier collateral and distribution agency collateral, insurance producer commission agreements, marketing content creation, regulatory affairs and litigation management, and also support lead generation and consumer contact.
- The successful candidate will have a broad supporting responsibilities related to advancing the business growth goals, and ensuring regulatory risk mitigation
- This will include, without limitation, providing legal advice and counsel concerning the rights, obligations and privileges of the prganization, and protecting the organization’s interests in contract negotiations, settlements, and litigation
- Assisting the business to roll-out different methodologies of reaching consumers and producers looking to provide health coverage solutions to the public
- Collaborating on new product and market entrances
- Interpreting legal/regulatory requirements and their business implications at the federal and state level with potential advocacy on proposed changes nationally (e.g., NAIC). Some contract drafting/reviewing
- Building internal relationships across the enterprise leadership to advance broader business and legal interests on a variety of topics, including sales, marketing, lead generation and sales practices
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Current license to practice law
- 3+ years of professional legal experience
- Experience with regulatory agencies and administrative experience with state insurance regulations
- Experience collaborating across a matrixed business and legal environment
- Knowledge of U.S., state contract, corporate health care and regulatory law
- Understanding of health care benefit coverage and medical policy development
- Demonstrated understanding of business problems related to assigned legal projects
- Proven ability to evaluate and determine appropriate legal course of action to meet business unit needs
- Proven ability to build and maintain rapport with superiors, peers, subordinates, and external company contacts
- Managed care legal experience
- Experience with and in-depth knowledge of health insurance and/or managed care industry
- Knowledge of Telephone Consumer Protection Act, related regulations, and state-specific enactments
- Demonstrates well-developed written and verbal communications skills
- Proven excellent presentation skills
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Work with a Fortune 5 organization that’s serving millions of people as we transform health care with bold ideas. Bring your energy for driving change for the better. Help us improve health access and outcomes for everyone, as we work to advance health equity, connecting people with the care they need to feel their best. As an industry leader, our commitment to improving lives is second to none.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.