Associate General Counsel - Remote
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Advise Optum Care health care delivery businesses in the Midwest and Northeast markets on business strategic initiatives, corporate matters, and assist business in developing measures to improve governance, integration, and implementation
- Support business teams with contract negotiations, including vendor and value-based reimbursement arrangements and delegation agreements and employment; support contract implementation and on-going operational compliance, including proactive risk identification and mitigation, and issue resolution
- Advise on relevant federal and state laws, CMS regulations, anti-kickback laws, the False Claims Act, and other health care fraud and abuse laws
- Serve as strategic advisor to business teams and enterprise colleagues on the impact of and response to proposed and new rules, regulations, and legislation
- Advise the business teams on potential and existing disputes
- Work closely with business teams, Regulatory, Compliance, Privacy, Litigation and Employment, and other key stakeholders to identify and reduce known and potential regulatory, legal, and business risks
- Some travel to local UHG office will be expected
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Licensed to practice law and in good standing in any U.S. jurisdiction
- 7+ years of experience with law firm or in-house legal department managing all aspects of healthcare (e.g. payer contracting), operational and regulatory counseling
- Knowledge of health care law, including anti-kickback laws, the False Claims Act, and other health care fraud and abuse laws
- Proven strategic thinker with experience evaluating and determining legal course of action to meet business needs
- Proven well-developed written and verbal communications and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain rapport with superiors, peers, subordinates, and external company contacts
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to work within Eastern or Central Time Zone business hours
- Experience collaborating across matrixed business and legal environment
- Experience providing advice to senior business leaders
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, or Washington Residents Only: The salary range for California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island or Washington residents is $118,000 to $226,800 per year. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.